Seeing the beauty in fear

Going for a layup, freshman Ford Spainhour doesn’t let fear stop him from doing what he loves. Although fear seems scary, he reminds himself that it is not a bad thing to be afraid.

A. Johnson

A. Johnson

Grayson McClendon, Staff Reporter

What are you scared of? Heights, spiders, failure? All over the world, fear is thought of as a negative force. You may have heard the saying, ‘Quit being a scaredy cat!’ and it most always has a negative connotation. Many people do not like to admit their fears because of the worry that they will be made fun of. Contrary to this, what if I told you that fear is a good thing?

Fear is defined as an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat. The majority of society share a lot of common fears. These can include death, sickness, or the future. Being afraid of these things may keep you reserved, but it also keeps you safe. For example, if someone was scared of death, they would do everything in their power to avoid it. This is why when people do dangerous stunts like walking on tightropes or putting their hand in an alligator’s mouth, it goes viral. Daredevils like these tend to test death and put their fears aside.

Fear can also signal that you are growing and changing. It shows that you are trying something completely out of your comfort zone and exhibiting courage. Fear is derived from thinking that you are not good enough, successful enough, or smart enough. Freshman Ford Spainhour pointed out, “I have always pushed through that fear, and it has made me such a stronger person through sports and Christ alone. I definitely consider fear as a good thing because it can shape us into the men and women we become.” Getting out of your comfort zone means you are not afraid to try new things. The mindset of throwing away fear is believing you are good, successful, and smart enough!

In the end, the best part about fear is when you overcome it. Imagine being afraid of the dark; running upstairs as quickly as you can when you turn off the kitchen lights, or turning off your bedroom light just to run and jump on your bed while you can not see anything. The day that you can finally walk around in the dark with no fear in the back of your mind will be the day you can say you conquered fear. Courage and bravery are two amazing characteristics, and when you overcome your fears, you are awarded that trait.