Commemorating George H. W. Bush

obamawhitehouse.archives.gov

Bestowing the 5,000th Daily Point of Light Award together, former presidents George H.W. Bush and Barack Obama demonstrate unity. Bush passed away November 30 and was put to rest December 5.

Tia Hunt, Staff Reporter

Respect has poured in all over the U.S. after former president, George H. W. Bush, passed away on November 30. Sophomore Abbey Shanahan said, “George H. W. Bush started a legacy of family members becoming politicians. His contribution to our country is one that shouldn’t go unnoticed.” Considered the most successful single-term president by many, he is known for his service as a former armed forces member and CIA Director. Bush’s journey to serve his country started on his eighteenth birthday by joining the Navy.  During his two years in the Navy, he piloted over fifty-five combat missions and received an Air Medal award recognizing this bravery. He went on to attend Yale University and become the founder of his oil business, Arbusto Energy. This business not only led him to becoming a billionaire by age forty, but also allowed him to dip his toes into the water of politics.

Bush ran for Senate in Texas twice, once in 1964 and again in 1970 losing both times. In 1966 he succeeded in attaining a seat in the House of Representatives. A year after running for Senate the second time, Bush was chosen as the United States Ambassador for the United Nations and later the director of the Central Intelligence Agency. He served in this position for little under a year before running against Ronald Reagan for the presidency in 1980. Though he lost this election, Reagan chose him as vice president. During his time as vice president, he was known for being quiet but loyal to Reagan. When Reagan was shot in 1981, Bush refused to take over as an effort to not overstep boundaries. Once recovered,  Reagan was pleased by this decision.

After serving two terms as vice president, Bush ran for president once again, this time against Massachusetts governor Michael Dukakis. Loved by many because of his famous phrase “Read my lips: no new taxes,” Bush won the election with fifty-three percent of votes. Overall, Bush was well liked and widely known due to his wish of a kinder, gentler nation. Almost a massive amount of people visited St. Martin’s Episcopal Church and traveled to the Capitol to pay respects and honor the 41st president. He is survived by five children and seventeen grandchildren.