How to give back to your community

A. Van Kula

Donating can help many people. Sophomore Jessica Miller drops her money in a food drive collection jar to help out the millions affected by hunger. Donating is a great way to help in your community because you can help someone out even if you do not have extra time.

Abby Van Kula, Staff Reporter

Giving back to your community is a great way to help out others and spread joy, especially during this holiday season. It can mean so many different things; it can be a minor thing like donating money, or a big thing such as organizing a fundraiser. Normally you would give to benefit others, not yourself. However, in some cases giving back can earn you service hours for school. Throughout one’s grade school years, there are numerous opportunities to give back, such as food drives, fundraisers, bake sales and many more. These ways of giving back have helped many people in need  and most likely made their day.

Everyone loves receiving, but being on the other end has a greater reward. For some, it may be receiving enough food, being able to afford a type of cure or medical procedure, or simply receiving a good deed. If you are the one giving, it can reward you by increasing your level of happiness and can help you become a better person. Giving also boosts your self-esteem by identifying yourself as a good, caring, and generous person.  

If you are stuck in finding ways to help out, do not worry! One thing that anyone can do is to volunteer their time. You do not have to spend any money, yet you can make a positive impact on someone’s life. All you need to do is find some places in your area at which you can volunteer at. Great places to volunteer include soup kitchens, pet shelters, the American Red Cross, and Habitat for Humanity. If you can not do any of those, go to volunteermatch.org and type in your location, and it will give you some other volunteer opportunities. Another way to give back is to donate. Whenever your school or other groups that you are a part of organizes a food drive, donate some canned goods or money to buy canned goods. You can also donate your money for a good cause. There are so many charities out there that would be very thankful for your donations.

It is really simple to give; this holiday season I encourage you to go out and deliver to your community. Sophomore Ashley Jean said, “Volunteering in our community, whether with a nonprofit or known organization, is a great way to get involved and give back to those who don’t receive as much or as many opportunities as we do.”