Going Green: The healthy and sustainable diet!

Fruits and vegetables are an integral part of any balanced diet. Vegetarian diets put an emphasis on eating more of these foods and no meat.

wikimedia.commons.com

Emma Mills, Staff Reporter

Although a life without Chick-fil-a sandwiches or Bojangles’ chicken may seem hard to imagine for many Millbrook students, take into consideration that going meat-free may just keep you healthier and living longer. People become vegetarians for a variety of reasons, including religion, health, and beliefs. Regardless of your reason, it is undeniable that vegetarianism has positive effects on your body by reducing risk of heart attack, cancer, and other diseases. Beyond the advantage of good health, going vegetarian is also better for the environment.

According to an article posted in the Harvard University Medical School Publishing, approximately six to eight million adults in America have chosen vegetarianism, completely forgoing all meat and poultry. This rise in American vegetarians can partially be attributed to the increased availability of fruits and vegetables year-round. Evidence suggests that going meat-free can significantly reduce your risk for heart disease, cancer, and type two diabetes. Additionally, a major study published in the British Medical Journal found that vegetarians tend to outlive meat eaters by approximately six years. The study tracked 11,125 people over twelve years and necessary adjustments were made for smoking and socioeconomic status.

It is important to note that these health benefits come from eating a healthy, balanced vegetarian diet. Of course, pizza and cookies are still “vegetarian”, but they are not healthy if eaten on a regular basis, regardless of eating meat or not. Instead, aim for a well-rounded diet that includes appropriate portions of proteins, carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, and dairy.

Some people are concerned that a vegetarian diet can be unhealthy for your body due to a lack of protein. While in some cases that may be true, many vegetarians keep their diets balanced by incorporating protein in other forms. Nuts, beans, and dairy products are all high in protein and still adhere to vegetarianism. Tofu or soy products are also healthy alternatives.

However, there are cons to going vegetarian. For some people, it simply is not an option. Healthy foods are less accessible and more expensive than a fast food hamburger. For others, hunting is a family tradition and cherished hobby that they are reluctant to give up.

Others choose to go vegetarian because they feel it is the ethically responsible thing to do. Organizations like People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, believe that eating something that was once living is immoral. They also cite poor factory conditions that endanger animals and give lower their quality of life as reasons to make the switch. Sophomore Gannon Hollar made the choice to go vegetarian for this very reason. She stated, “I decided to go vegetarian because I discovered how harshly the animals were treated. I did not think it was humane and could not eat meat without thinking of the animal.”

Another benefit to going vegetarian is to save the planet. Meat production requires huge amounts of land, energy and water. This leads to habitat loss, soil erosion, water depletion, and pollution from pesticides and animal waste. All people have a moral responsibility to do their part to protect the planet. Vegetarianism is just one of the many ways we can reduce the negative impacts human activities are having on the Earth.

This holiday season, consider skipping the meat during your holiday meals. It may ultimately be the choice that prevents you from getting a serious illness!