Preparing for midterms

Izzi Graham

Studying in a group, Millbrook sophomores Adrian Robles and Ethan Lentz prepare for the upcoming midterms. Forming a study group can be a very useful strategy to help expand your understanding and keep you motivated.

Izzi Graham, Staff Reporter

Panic and dread often accompany the thought of midterms, creating plenty of anxiety around these important tests. This feeling of being overwhelmed can best be conquered through preparation. Millbrook High School midterms begin with periods 1B and 2B testing on Thursday, January 10. 1A and 2A midterms will take place the following day. After the weekend, 3B and 4B midterms will occur on Monday, January 14, succeeded by the final 3A and 4A tests on Tuesday.

Studying is a fairly obvious requirement in order to do well on midterms, and there are many approaches to successfully prepare for different classes. First, create a realistic schedule for you to manage your time. Prioritize the subjects that you struggle the most with. Your brain is much more likely to absorb and retain information if it is broken into portions over a longer amount of time, rather than cramming everything in the night before. Study in twenty to fifty-minute increments with short breaks between sessions. Avoid social media and Netflix during these breaks, as technology is a very tempting form of procrastination that can keep you distracted for hours.

Ensure that you utilize all review materials that are provided by your teacher, and ask for help if you are struggling with a topic or skill. Attend any review sessions that are offered by your teachers and consider creating a study group. Study groups are a wonderful way to keep motivated and expand your understanding of a concept. However, creating a study group will only be a successful study tool if you remain focused on the task at hand.

Remember that each class must be approached differently. Vocabulary is an important component in humanities and science classes, as well as languages. Flashcards are a great way to memorize these terms, along with vocabulary websites like Quizlet. Have your friends and family test you on these terms and their definitions to help you learn and remember them. For classes that include math and formulas, the best way to study is to do practice problems. Create a formula sheet and your own diagrams, as these can serve as a very useful study tool and aid you in memorizing information.

Creating your own study guide can be a useful study tool for any class, as it will help you understand and remember the material. This involves looking through all of your notes and outlining the important information. Rewrite the material in your own words and summarize the information accurately, focusing on the relevant details. Look over and repeat old quizzes and tests from each class to remind you of the topics that you struggled with, which allows you to direct your studies.

Maintain healthy sleep, eating, and exercise regimes. Exercise during your breaks, as this will help you focus throughout your studying. Make sure to get enough sleep each night. The morning of midterms, eat a nutritious breakfast with protein and carbohydrates. Anxiety and stress can become overwhelming as tests approach, so try to relax and remember that these scores do not determine your worth or your intelligence. Sophomore Paige Celetti summarized her studying techniques when she said, “I just always try to stay on top of work during the break so that going back to school is not a big slap in the face with work. I use Quizlet for important things that I have trouble with, look over notes, and rewrite things so they stick in my brain.” Good luck, Millbrook students!