NC Comicon: Coming to a convention center near you

Designed+for+just+this+purpose%2C+the+Raleigh+Convention+Center+stands+as+a+perfect+place+to+hold+popular+and+crowd-filled+events+like+Comicon.+NC+Comicon%2C+much+like+many+other+conventions+of+similar+style%2C+call+the+Convention+Center+their+home+because+of+its+respectable+size+and+ideal+location.++++

Designed for just this purpose, the Raleigh Convention Center stands as a perfect place to hold popular and crowd-filled events like Comicon. NC Comicon, much like many other conventions of similar style, call the Convention Center their home because of its respectable size and ideal location.

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

Jonah Manuel, Staff Reporter

It is that time again, the North Carolina Comicon will make its way to Raleigh on March 15-17. NC Comicon is a place for nerd and geek culture alike to come together and enjoy the years of pop culture. NC Comicon was founded in 2010 by Tommy Lee Edwards and Alan Gill in order to bring the celebration of entertainment and comic books to the Triangle area. This has resulted in many well known actors and creators to visit Raleigh in order to meet with their fans. This year attendees have the opportunity to meet the iconic Greg Cipes, who is known for his role as Beast Boy from Teen Titans and Michelangelo in the 2012 installment of the well known Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise. Not only does NC Comicon allow fans to meet some of their favorite actors or voice actors, but some fantastic creators as well. For example, comic artist and writer David Finch will also be attending this year’s NC Comicon.

Thought it is one of the draws to the convention, meeting famous actors and creators is not all this event has to offer. NC Comicon has a variety of panels for attendees to participate in. For example, some mentionable panels this year will include adapting fan favorite characters into the popular tabletop role playing game Dungeons and Dragons, or discussing the use of latex in costume design and creation, typically referred to as cosplay. Cosplay is when someone either buys or creates an outfit or costume from their favorite show, book, or movie and wears it out to events, such as the NC Comicon. This convention has a vast amount of opportunities for the attendees to take part in and enjoy. Freshman Camron Blum said, “When going to NC Comicon, the first thing that you notice is how it differs from other conventions that I have been to such as Supercon. NC Comicon focuses on the comics and the artist and writers. You notice the enormous selection of comics which I like the best. I can find old comics that otherwise I can’t find in a store or online. And to see other people that enjoy the same superheroes and comics as I do.” This shows the wide variety of fun and interesting appeals NC Comicon has to offer to its attendees and a open environment for geeks and nerds alike to come together and have a great time. That is what NC Comicon is, and that is why it is such a big event to join and take a part of.