The legacy of The Great Gatsby

Looking+off+in+the+distance+while+daydreaming+about+his+love+obsession%2C+Robert+Redford+stars+as+Jay+Gatsby+in+the+1974+film.+The+Great+Gatsby+has+seen+many+screen+and+film+adaptations+over+the+years%2C+but+many+say+none+could+capture+Gatsby+as+well+as+Fitzgerald%27s+writing.+

The legacy of The Great Gatsby

Looking off in the distance while daydreaming about his love obsession, Robert Redford stars as Jay Gatsby in the 1974 film. The Great Gatsby has seen many screen and film adaptations over the years, but many say none could capture Gatsby as well as Fitzgerald's writing.

flickr.com

flickr.com

flickr.com

Jonah Manuel, Staff Reporters

Ninety-four years after its publication, The Great Gatsby is still one of the greatest works of literature ever. Gatsby has left a definite footprint on the literary world to this day, and it was on this day, April 10, that Gatsby was first published. At first, the novel received mixed reviews and only sold 20,000 copies in its first year, and the author, F. S. Fitzgerald passed away believing that his name would fade in time and his works would be a failure. However, like most great artists, his work would only be recognized after his passing, and during the second World War, Gatsby would see a surge in popularity. This established Gatsby as a staple to the American literature curriculum and  taught in many high schools. In addition, there have been many film and stage adaptations over the years, as recent as 2013. This film would feature a lead role of Leonardo DiCaprio and had an estimated budget of $105 million for the film’s production. The idea that Gatsby was just a period piece completely faded soon after Fitzgerald’s passing, and it is now a contender for the Great American Novel title.

Gatsby shows the ideas of the American Dream, but it also is not afraid to show the destructive nature of the said American Dream. It portrays its era in a timeless manner and gives modern-day America a way to look at and reflect upon the past. Senior Grace McCarthy said, “I love the book a lot, and I definitely think that some of the themes, such as material obsession, are still relevant to today’s culture in America.”  The themes of The Great Gatsby are one of the reasons why many people still reflect and analyze this novel and why it is believed to be one of the greatest works of fiction by many. That is why April 10, 1925, will forever be remembered as the day a legacy was born.

Jonah Manuel, Staff Reporter

Greetings and salutations. I am Jonah Manuel of the Cat Talk newspaper staff. I am here to express the ideas of the lost past and bring light to the truth....