Local places to go to make the most of summer

A.Taylor

Soaking in the beauty of the sunflowers, sophomore Ashley Jean visits Dorothea Dix Park where they have sunflower fields open for many locals come and flock to. Being out in nature by hanging out at a park is just one of the many ways to get rid of summer boredom.

Justine Hooker, Staff Reporter

As school comes to a long awaited close, students look for ways to take advantage of summer. You do not have to leave the state, or even Raleigh, to have a great summer. There are many opportunities and events that are happening all summer long that you can get involved in. No matter your interests, there are many local things to do if you like to stay busy during the long vacation.

If you are a fan of the arts, go see the classic work of Annie playing at the Memorial Auditorium at Duke Energy Center in Downtown Raleigh. Annie is about an orphan living in New York City who sets out to find her parents, but ends up finding her new home in the end. The show runs from July 23-28, and is the perfect show to gather your family and friends to watch together.

If you love being out in nature or need a break from the confinements of your room, take a trip to Pullen Park. This park is a great venue for picnics, or perfect for a big game of soccer or football with your friends. Pullen Park has pedal boats that you can use on the water as well. Disconnect from technology and get your daily dose of Vitamin D at Pullen Park located near Downtown Raleigh and the NC State Campus.

The Raleigh Flea Market located at the State Fairgrounds is a great place to go shopping! The flea market offers free parking and admission. They are open every weekend from 9am to 6pm. You can find a variety of different items to buy here like food, jewelry, art, books, antiques, and more. The flea market allows high school students to shop without breaking the bank, and you will be supporting local businesses too.

To have fun you do not always have to spend money, and you do not always have to look far. North Hills Shopping Center features the Midtown Beach Music Series. These are free concerts that are available every Thursday from 6 to 9pm until August 15. The line-up includes Liquid Pleasure, Spare Change, The Attractions, The Entertainers, and more. Not only will there be awesome music, but this music series benefits the Triangle Down Syndrome Network, Haven House Services, and Carroll’s Kitchen. Why not listen to free music for a good cause?  

If you are up for a little drive, North Carolina has various beaches to visit like in the Outer Banks where freshman Jennifer Tran describes her experiences: “Nothing is better than the feeling of the sun soaking into your skin, sand, between your toes, and your hair drenched in ocean water.” Grab your friends for a quick road trip to the beach. The beach is a nice place to relax and read a book, play a game of volleyball, or have a bonfire and make s’mores.  Lastly, any baseball fans might know that the Carolina Mudcats have a packed season full of games to see during the summer. The Mudcats are a minor league baseball team in Zebulon, NC at the Five County Stadium. They sometimes have Family Friday Fireworks, B.O.G.O Mondays that allows you to get one box office seat free when you buy one, and beach music nights. There is great food, fun, and all you need are your loved ones to complete it.

Take note of these local activities and events to look forward to this summer. For a spontaneous trip, cabin fever, or wanting to try something new, any one of these above would make for the perfect time!