Find the perfect tea to fit your mood

flickr.com

Placed in small bowls, loose leaf tea is arranged in a circular fashion. Tea is made with dried leaves and hot water, displaying its advantageous aspect of being a natural method to improve health.

Hannah Hortman, Staff Reporter

Tea has earned an excellent reputation in our evolving culture. It has become well-known for its many health benefits for those who drink it. Sophomore Brooke Dawson said, “I like to drink tea when I am sick, at night before bed, or even when it is cold outside.” If you have ever wondered what tea is best for your mood, this is a guide to picking just the right tea for you.  

There are all kinds of different teas: green, oolong, black, herbal, white, chai, and so on. Herbal teas include peppermint, chamomile, green, ginger, and lavender. If you are feeling stressed or anxious, chamomile will help you relax. Chamomile tea contains an antioxidant called apigenin, which calms the brain and relieves anxiety. Chamomile and lavender tea are two great choices if you need assistance with falling asleep at night. This is due to the fact that they trigger the melatonin in your brain which leads to sleepiness. 

On the other hand, if you do not want to feel tired or sleepy, green and black tea can help energize you. Green and black tea both contain caffeine which gives you a mental boost. Green tea specifically has been shown to improve memory, while black tea is used as a coffee substitute and aids in blood circulation. Peppermint tea can also help improve focus and make you more alert without any caffeine. If you want to feel happy, try a citrus tea. The citrus in lemon or orange can stimulate the production of serotonin, a chemical in your brain that is responsible for making you feel happy. If you are feeling sad or depressed, some chai tea may be just what you need. The spices in chai tea are known to promote positivity and lead to the satisfaction you have been looking for. They may even get you into the holiday spirit with Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner.

While the teas below are not necessarily linked to a certain feeling, they do improve your health which will ultimately boost your mood in the long run. White tea is one of the healthier teas because it is the least processed, allowing it to retain its full capacity of antioxidants. These antioxidants can help with weight loss and getting over a cold. Ginger tea also has many health benefits including the alleviation of headaches, overcoming nausea, strengthening the immune system, and even increasing metabolism. While many people look down on caffeine, oolong tea has actually been associated with weight loss due to its caffeine component. Researchers found that oolong tea stimulates fat reduction because the caffeine results in a faster metabolism and essentially more fat burn. Hopefully, this article will convince you to hop on the tea-lover train. Now, go spill this tea to everyone you know!