Happy national Get Up Day!

M. Roberts

Pointing at her crutches, Mati Roberts displays a positive attitude despite the challenge she has been confronted with. The presence of her friend, Caroline White, reminds her of the amazing friends and family she has to support her as she makes her comeback.

Hannah Hortman, Staff Reporter

Get Up Day is a national campaign that was established by U.S. Figure Skating in 2017.  It is celebrated on February 1, which is preceded by National Skating Month. Many figure skaters are acquainted with this special day as it gives them the opportunity to share their comeback stories. Thus, it promotes a sense of community in a strikingly competitive and individual sport. Figure Skating can be an intense sport, both mentally and physically. Skaters suffer from injuries all the time, and the media makes sure to highlight these unfortunate setbacks. However, mental illness is not as commonly displayed to the public, yet this can sometimes be even more difficult to persevere through than physical injuries. Regardless of how a skater may fall down, this day was meant to embody the idea that it is not about how you fall down, but it is how you get back up. 

While this idea is exemplified in the world of figure skating, it can be applied to many other sports or life situations. Sophomore Kiera Finessy said, “In April of 2019, I tore my ACL and had surgery the following month. It has been a rough journey, but I will do whatever it takes to get better quickly and safely.” A significant example of a get up story would be a well-known figure skater Mirai Nagasu. She was left off the Olympic team in 2014 but earned a spot in 2018, making a comeback. She became the first U.S. female skater to land a triple axel at the Olympics. Another skater who is currently in the middle of her get up story is Gracie Gold. She had previously suffered from depression and was diagnosed with an eating disorder. In 2016, Gold failed to bring home a gold medal from the World Championships, leaving her devastated and hopeless. After entering a treatment center in Arizona, she began her long road to recovery. Fast forward to now, Gold brought herself to compete in the 2020 U.S. Nationals. While she may not have placed high, it was certainly a big moment for her. She went through some rough times, but her perseverance is giving her new hope for the future. Similarly, after enduring a serious knee injury, Sophomore Mati Roberts said, “This experience has made me a lot stronger, and I learned that I can overcome a lot of hard things by just staying positive and looking to the future.”

In honor of this day, U.S. Figure Skating encourages everyone to share their story. Most people will post on social media, and this helps to spread the word. This campaign was meant to motivate people and remind others that you should never give up!