Celebrating Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

A. Ignacio

Gathered together, the Ignacio cousins and grandparents capture this wonderful memory together. This Filipino family is just a small glimpse of how families are spending time together and celebrating the outstanding accomplishments of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

Hannah Hortman, Staff Reporter

Throughout this month all across America, Asians and Pacific Islanders honor and rejoice in the amazing contribution of the generations that came before them. May was chosen as the month to celebrate because of two important events. On May 7, 1843, the first Japanese immigrant came to the United States. And secondly, the transcontinental railroad was completed on May 10, 1969. This railroad was built by laborers, nearly 20,000 of which were Chinese workers who had migrated to the United States. These two historical events eventually led Congress to designate May as the annual observance of Asian Pacific American impact in the United States. 

Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders have a long history of being faced with challenges and racial discrimination. One of the most well-known examples was the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act. This immigration law refused to allow an entire ethnic group of laborers from entering the United States. One factor contributing to the development of this law was the concern of growing unemployment rates in California. It took over a century later, in 1978, a week was designated to commemorate the Asian impact on America. However, this was not deemed an annual event. Asian American advocates and community groups had to request year after year before it became permanent. Sophomore Holly Tran said, “As minorities in a white America, there has always been a lack of representation for Asian Americans in the media and society.” Nevertheless, today, Asian and Pacific Americans make up approximately six percent of the U.S. population, compared to an underwhelming 1.5 percent in 1980.

The Asian continent is massive in size. This month is observed by numerous ethnic groups with ancestral roots in Asia including Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, Filipino, Cambodian, and so many more. While each culture may celebrate a little differently, they are all united by this meaningful event that brings so many communities together. One of the most common ways to celebrate is by enjoying a wonderful home-cooked meal with friends and family. Sophomore Jennifer Tran said, “We celebrate this month by making lots of delicious dishes; my favorite is a classic: Phở, a Vietnamese soup and noodle dish!”

For many, this month is a great time to visit extended family. Senior Alison Money said, “When I was young, I remember traveling to London and spending a week with my Asian side of the family, eating so much food, and learning about their culture!” While our current circumstances may limit large gatherings or big trips, the celebration will continue just as it normally would!