Cafeteria Open For Lunch

Millbrook High School opens their cafeteria for the first time since Covid. The empty cafeteria is ready for students!

A. Russo

Ansley Russo, Staff Reporter

Millbrook High School’s Cafeteria is open as of Wednesday, November 3rd. Many students are wondering how it will work, and how it affects everyone. Important things for students to remember are picking a seat, wearing a mask unless seated, and keeping a good distance from others. The cafeteria opening is a great opportunity for students to socialize and have a break.

The opening of the cafeteria is very exciting for Millbrook students. Sophomore Nicolas Rivera says, “It was great talking to my friends from other classes. It was way different from classroom lunch; it was so active.” Younger students have never experienced a high school cafeteria before and are thrilled to eat with their friends. “It was a little confusing how things worked at first,” Nicolas says. Most of the students eating in the cafeteria do not know their way around the cafeteria yet. Edwin Ledbetter, a freshman, says, “You can socialize really easily, but it is smelly.” A lot of  kids are worried about the change, but those who have already been say that it is fun. Ms. Winfield, who had a classroom full of students during lunch, thinks the change is good for both the students and teachers. “It is a nice break to reset and take a breather. It also seems good for the students to have a social outlet during the day.” Several other teachers have voiced the same sentiments. “I am so happy! Best decision ever!” Mrs. Cooper says. Mr. Grow says, “It is really nice, according to my students.”

A lot of thought went into the decision to open up the cafeteria, and the administration has high hopes that it will stay that way. Students must follow rules in order to keep the cafeteria open. Upperclassmen, like Mary Katherine Boone, suggest eating lunch in the cafeteria. She says, “It is good to see and talk to your friends that were in different classes during lunch.” The cafeteria opening is a big step out of Covid and towards a new normal!