Driver Accused in the Waukesha Christmas Parade Massacre is Charged

Wikimedia Commons

Displayed is the devastating aftermath of the Waukesha Christmas Parade Massacre.

Kendall Johnson, Staff Reporter

On Sunday, November 21st, the members of Waukesha, Wisconsin had their Christmas Parade and it turned into a massacre. The Christmas parade is usually a celebratory night in the city and includes dance groups, high school bands, and politicians. At approximately 4:40pm, with the parade in full swing, a red Ford Escape drove into the parade route and allegedly steered deliberately into those marching and watching.  Six people died, and at least 40 were injured.

The alleged driver was identified by the police as Darrell E. Brooks, 39-years-old, who had a long history of domestic disturbance, and was freed just six days ago on $1,000 bail after being accused of trying to run over his girlfriend with the same S.U.V. He faces five counts of intentional homicide. Brooks has been charged with or convicted on multiple charges over the past 22 years, including battery, domestic violence, cocaine possession, and resisting arrest in several jurisdictions in Wisconsin. Prosecutors have requested a $5 million cash bail for the suspect in the case. During the parade, the members of the city killed were six-year-old Jackson Sparks, fifty-two-year-old Tamara Durand, eighty-one-year-old Wilhelm Hospel, fifty-two-year-old Jane Kulich and seventy-one-year-old Leanna Owen. Brooks’ next scheduled hearing is  January 14th.