Breaking Boundaries: Men in Dresses

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.istockphoto.com%2F

https://www.istockphoto.com/

Ashley Snyder, Staff Reporter

Masculinity is defined as: having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with men. Masculinity and femininity have been put into two categories, but now they are blending into one. Recently, men have been wearing feminine clothing and makeup; the majority support it, but others do not. Men, no matter their sexuality, are allowed to wear dresses and feminine clothing if they wish.                                                                                                                     

There have been multiple men who have worn feminine clothing and makeup: Harry Styles, Timothee Chlamat, and Luke Hemmings. On social media, a “fan” has said, “If they wear makeup and dresses, they must be gay.” However, in reality, those men have never said anything about their sexuality, and it is not right to assume based on clothing. 

Harry Styles is the first male artist to ever be on the cover of Vogue. In the magazine, he reveals pictures of him in dresses and skirts. After the release, Candance Owens, a well-known conservative activist, gives major backlash to Styles. She states that it is not attractive for a man to wear a dress, which prompted many other male celebrities to respond by wearing dresses themselves. Styles responds to the drama with a picture of him  in a feminine suit with the caption, “Bring back manly men.” Since then, there have been no further comments from Owens as the community continues to support Styles on his lifestyle choices  

Since 2019, men have started to wear “feminine” clothing publicly. A few examples of these feminine clothing and accessories include: pearl necklaces, painted nails, rings, and clothes such as skirts, crop tops, etc. Especially in 2021, male models wore “girly” clothing at the men’s Paris fashion week.

At Millbrook, men and women alike are becoming more comfortable with the men wearing new fashion trends that accumulate more ‘feminine’ aspects. As for another opinion on men wearing feminine clothes, sophomore Jazmyn Tinsley said, “I think it should happen more, but I don’t think men should be praised for challenging gender norms.” 

Men are allowed to wear whatever they please, just like women are allowed to wear masculine clothing. In this day and age, fashion is increasingly spreading to all people in all forms. Models of all sizes, races, gender, and ethnicity are being shown to represent fashion. The support is endless and society cannot be happier for this new era of fashion representation, as times before where men were criticized for wearing what they wanted. 

Especially now, men and women of any background have sparked this new fashion trend, where men and women alike can wear whatever they want. Although there has been a major increase in the number of men wearing feminine clothing, the next step is to get a majority of society to accept it. Until then, everyone should be themselves, no matter what society tells them.