Black Student Union for Millbrook

Students in BSU create boards with narratives that are known amongst the black community. Together, they create conversations and explained how they felt about being the minority within the majority.

De'Zaria Lucas, Staff Reporter

Black Student Union (BSU) is an organization that advocates, empowers, and teaches students about the black experience. BSU is orchestrating multiple events for Millbrook, including recognition of Black History Month with various members sharing Black History facts and quotes by historical figures at the end of each school day on the intercom. 

BSU president, junior La’Nita Hester, says, “BSU is a family. I wanted to start the BSU because we need to stick together as black people. We need to build a foundation together and feel at home with each other and be in a no judgement zone.” BSU serves the purpose of bringing the black community at Millbrook together and to shine light on the minority, so others can see that together they could become the majority. 

When talking with the advisor, Ms. Gray says, “My hope for BSU is that it brings a positive light to our students of the African-American diaspora, highlighting both culture and the individual.” It is a known fact that Millbrook High School has a majority of white students. African American students do not always feel comfortable or represented in certain classes like a history class or an English class where certain conversations are difficult.

The purpose for Millbrook High School specifically to create the BSU is to create unity and shine light on African-American students who do not feel comfortable here at Millbrook. BSU provides comfort and allows black students to talk about what makes them uncomfortable. In other environments throughout the school day, African American students get weird looks, or people ask them uncomfortable questions so BSU was created to help neutralize those questions and help them feel comfortable. When asking junior La’Nita Hester about the representation she actually wants to bring to Millbrook, she says, “I want us, as black students, not only to make a name here at Millbrook but to make a name for ourselves throughout Wake County.”

Cat Talk spoke with senior Chelada Livingston says, “It is very important that we are represented as black people, especially in our own school; being a part of BSU makes me feel heard and honestly at home, it is so easy to be my true self with people who look like me. I love the feeling of being surrounded by black excellence.”

The BSU at Millbrook is filled with so many talented and smart individuals. There is nothing but smiles and laughter radiating in each meeting. For the month of February as a tribute to Black History, BSU is having a black history themed spirit week from February 22-25.

Both Ms. Gray and La’Nita said that there was no negative connotation that they have heard. Ms. Gray also says “Personally, I have not heard any negative comments towards the BSU, and I hope that there are none.” Talking with sophomore Eliza Moses about why she decided to join BSU, she says, “I joined BSU because I saw it as a great opportunity to connect back with my people and set new goals for myself.” BSU is just getting started, with more to come as the school year goes on.