What You Need to Know About Millbrook Student Government

Students gather in the cafeteria for the student government interest meeting. A fabulous presentation was given by advisors about what to know about next years MEB application!

M.Kent

Students gather in the cafeteria for the student government interest meeting. A fabulous presentation was given by advisors about what to know about next year’s MEB application!

Meghan Kent, Staff Reporter

Millbrook’s student government association is now taking applications for members and officers. An interest meeting run by the advisors was held on March 22nd to inform prospective participants about what being a part of student government entails. Majority of students that attended the meeting were current members of their grade level’s class council. Anyone is able to join SGA, but to join Milllbrook Executive Board (MEB), students must serve a year on class council or as a class officer. The application for student government officers is due by March 31st, and the application to be a member of MEB is due by April 8th. Students must fill out the application linked above in order to be a part of Millbrook’s student government or executive board. 

The main expectations of members is to attend and participate in meetings. “Attendance is a must,” says senior and Student Body President Ashly Arias-Lopez. She says that members should always communicate when absent, “To make Millbrook a better place, you must communicate in general.” Other expectations include good academic behavior, and students must be a current member of a class council to apply to be an officer.

When it comes to the individual grade levels, responsibilities vary. Dr. Carr is the advisor for the Freshman Class Council. She did not touch much on what responsibilities the freshman class council had, because there were no rising freshmen at the meeting, but she says to, “encourage 8th graders to apply when the freshman application is available over the summer.”Ms. George, the Sophomore Class Council advisor, relays that sophomores have the responsibility of helping to promote dances and other events at Millbrook. The Junior Class Council, advised by Mrs. Genesky, does all things prom. They organize ticket sales, pick out the theme, and help set up the dance. Finally, the Senior Class Council, advised by Mrs. Beach, plans the senior kickoff, senior picnic, and all other senior activities. Seniors have the most responsibility because they also help out with all other MEB events. As students rise in grade levels, the more responsibility that class council has. 

Arias-Lopez says that her favorite part of student government is “being able to create a new normal for students this year because Covid has changed everything. Student government is able to give us an outlet to bring back school spirit.” Students with a lot of drive and passion in Millbrook should join MEB. MEB Student Body Secretary Jennifer Tran says, “I think that people should join the student government because you get to put your voice into an environment you are in almost every single day.” 

Students who are planning to apply for an officer position must submit their campaign video, social media graphic, and desired position to the google form linked earlier by March 31st. There will be an additional interest meeting only for people who want to apply for MEB positions on March 30th. Elections will be held during second block on April 22nd.