Millbrook Opens Johnsdale Gate After 8 Years

Shaking+hands+in+front+of+the+Johnsdale+gate+Dr.+Saunders+and+Aracely+Gomez+smiling.+The+is+now+open+and+should+truly+help+student+life.+

Photo by Carter Ramey

Shaking hands in front of the Johnsdale gate Dr. Saunders and Aracely Gomez smiling. The is now open and should truly help student life.

Carter Ramey, Co-Editor in Chief and Social Media Director

This school year, our principal Dr. Saunders made the decision to open up the gate for Johnsdale Road, in the senior parking lot, during all lunches. Our student body president, Aracely Gomez, and Dr. Saunders both worked together at the start of this school year to make it happen. While it makes it much easier for students who park in that parking lot, there are safety reasons as well to open it. Aracely Gomez says, “I worked to make this happen so that seniors have another exit for off campus lunch that is more convenient.” 

Dr. Saunders says his main goal for opening up Johnsdale was, “this will give students that go off campus more time so they will not have to speed to get back to class or eat while they are driving.” Both of these things can be very dangerous, and opening Johnsdale gives more time so that we can prevent that. 

While the Johnsdale gate is open students must remember that is a privilege, so keep in mind our neighbors that we have on Johnsdale. Speeding through and throwing trash out is one thing that we need to avoid to be courteous to those who live on Johnsdale. Even though Johnsdale is open to make life easier for seniors, it can go back to being closed if we take it for granted.