Celebrity Hot Seat: Chris Evans is 2022 Sexiest Man Alive

Chris+Evans+is+crowned+2022+Sexiest+Man+Alive.+Teens%2C+adults+and+Evans+mom%2C+are+happy+with+this+years+pick.+

Chris Evans is crowned 2022 Sexiest Man Alive. Teens, adults and Evans’ mom, are happy with this year’s pick.

Kenley Belcher, Writer

Beloved actor Chris Evans wins the Sexiest Man Alive award for 2022. The news was announced Nov. 7 on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.” Each year, People magazine chooses a different man to receive the award. The tradition first started in 1985 by Michelle Green, a young writer for the magazine. The first award was given to Mel Gibson, who shockingly announced he did not want to do the interview or the movie he was filming at the time. The standard was then set for the awards recipients: everyone given it after should be better than Gibson. 

This tradition is long lasting, with 37 years of people receiving the title, and some of the picks have not been liked by the public. The process is done in secret by no more than 10 people. The leader is Dan Wakeford, the magazine’s editor in chief. When one year’s man is announced, it is often that the next one is already being looked for. The magazine uses data, looks, and the personality of possible men to decide the final pick. Some years their original choice was changed, such as in 1993, when the award was given to a couple, Cindy Crawford and Richard Green. Even though he was a part of the couple, Green later won again in 1999, as the solo sexiest man. There are also men that have won twice, including George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Johnny Depp. 

Evans has acted since 2000 and has starred in over 55 movies and TV shows. He is best known for his role of Captain America in the Marvel Universe, starring in 14 films thus far. He has also acted in other blockbuster hits, such as “Knives Out” and his current project, “The Gray Man.” In his free time he likes to spend time in Boston with his family. When he won the award, Evans told People magazine, “If you were to tell a middle school-aged Chris Evans that he would one day be named People’s Sexiest Man Alive, He’d be pumped.” He also told the magazine, “My mom will be so happy.” 

This award can be controversial, with some people liking the pick and others hating it. Some of the most liked winners have been John F Kennedy Jr., Tom Cruise, Patrick Swazye, Ryan Reynolds, Chris Hemsworth and Micheal B. Jordan. Some of the most disliked winners have been Sean Connery, Adam Levine, Dwanye Johnson, Blake Shelton, John Legend and Paul Rudd. Evans is another that has been debated. Sophomore Lindsay Gershaw said, “No, I think there are more deserving participants. He’s not my favorite.” Sophomore Hannah Brown agreed with her and added, “I think Louis Partridge should have won. He’s cuter than Chris Evans.” 

Different celebrities have also commented on the award being given this year. On Twitter, star Topher Grace said, “This morning I ran to the newsstand, holding my breath all the way that this might be the year. But no. Everyone says ‘Maybe next time’ but you don’t know how hard it is to be this sexy and not be recognized for it.” Other celebrities agreed with the pick. Octavia Spencer comments on social media, “They got this one right. Congratulations.” 

Chris Evans is a fan favorite in the Marvel Universe, but once again, America continues to debate on the sexiest man alive.