Coaches Feature: Coach Segal

Coach Segal (middle) with the other women’s lacrosse coaches.

Avery Lemelin, Staff Reporter

Not only is Coach Segal one of Millbrook’s favorite Humanities teachers, he is also our JV women’s lacrosse coach. He has been coaching women’s lacrosse for 13 years and began his coaching career by starting a girl’s lacrosse team at the middle school level.

Coach Segal has had experience with many different kinds of coaches all over the years. When asked if he had a coach that inspired him, Segal replied, ” I am inspired every day by Mr. Cope. His passion for not just lacrosse but for growing the program and supporting the players makes me want to be a better coach.” 

Segal expressed there are many aspects of coaching, including long days, time away from his own family, and supporting the team. But he says his favorite part of coaching is the camaraderie: “The team atmosphere that we create is a lot of fun. I think it’s a very nice place to be at the end of a long day. It’s good to get outside and relax and enjoy each other’s time.” He also enjoys celebrating every player’s successes. 

The most difficult part about coaching for Coach Segal is being away from his kids and missing time with them. From a coaching perspective, keeping kids inspired and keeping them engaged in lacrosse can be challenging.  Coach Segal prioritizes relationships with student-athletes. Those relationships encourage young women to challenge themselves on and off the field. 

Segal’s advice for new lacrosse players is “To get out there and try it. It can be intimidating and some people think they aren’t going to be good at it. But just get out there and try it. It’s fun and it’s a great group”.