Slice of pi, anyone?

Celebrating Pi Day is all about math for some, but celebrating by eating pie and other sweet treats is  for others. Pi day is celebrated today, so it is important to know your Pi Day history for this neat holiday.

flickr.com

Celebrating Pi Day is all about math for some, but celebrating by eating pie and other sweet treats is for others. Pi day is celebrated today, so it is important to know your Pi Day history for this neat holiday.

Summer Anderson, Staff Reporter

Pi Day is a national holiday celebrated today March 14 around the world. Pi is the symbol used in mathematics to represent the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, which is approximately 3.14159. The number  pi is an irrational transcendental number, meaning that its decimal places will continue to infinity. Pi has been calculated to have more than 1 trillion decimal places, and scientists are still calculating more every day. This number is found in many different equations in math, physics, and other sciences, and is considered one of the most important numbers.

The first Pi Day was celebrated at the San Francisco Exploratorium in 1988. Led by Physicist Larry Shaw, staff and visitors marched around in a circular parade and ate fruit pies to celebrate the holiday. The Exploratorium continues to hold Pi Day celebrations annually, and the events get bigger every year. In 2009, the White House officially recognized March 14 as National Pi Day.

Pi Day can be celebrated in many different ways, but most commonly people eat pie, talk about the number’s importance, and recite the number. On March 14, 2015, it was declared a Super Pi Day because the first 9 digits of pi would line up, which only happens once a century. Many cities have special traditions to celebrate Pi Day. In Las Vegas, people can get married or “pie the knot” for $314.15 and eat an apple pie after. In Chicago, athletes and scientists  can run a marathon called the “Pi k”. In New York, hundreds meet at a park fountain with glow sticks and also have a huge pie eating contest. In Iowa, mathematicians compete in an an annual pi reciting contest for the chance to win three thousand dollars. Some contestants have recited digits of pi for over five hours!

Schools nationwide have celebrations in  math classes with pizza pie and students reciting as many numbers of pi as they can. “When I was younger, my math class  had a competition of who could say the most digits of pi, and also ate pizza, it was really fun,” said senior McKayla Shropshire. Pi is a very important number, and it is important to know how scientists and mathematicians use it every day to solve many different equations. Since today is Pi Day, make sure to eat some pie and celebrate this important national holiday!