Campus Clubs

Key Club

A. Butler

Working hard, club secretary Sara Vandersip and club service committee member Kaylee Zuniga make dog toys out of old t-shirts to donate to the SPCA. The Key Club is a service oriented club focused to giving back to the community through different service projects.

Summer Anderson, Staff Reporter

The Key Club at Millbrook is a hardworking and dedicated club focused on giving back to the school and to their community. Advised by Mrs.Lauren Genesky, this club’s goal is to create awareness of service through student-led activities to positively impact Millbrook and the local community.

Students can join the club by paying the student fee, completing ten service hours every quarter, and forty service hours by the end of the year. Every month students have the opportunity to earn hours with two in-school service opportunities and two out-of-school opportunities. Some activities the club has done recently are helping teachers, cleaning up around the school, and volunteering at Goodwill and Miracle League of the Triangle.

Last January, the club made dog toys for the SPCA of Wake County using donated old t-shirts. They cut the shirts into horizontal strips, braided the fabric, and tied knots on the ends to make the toys. The club completes this project often because dog toys are drastically needed at the SPCA. Last February, the club made creative and cute cards for army veterans to celebrate Valentine’s Day. They also created colorful bookmarks to donate to Wake County public libraries to encourage reading.

This club is led by presidents Alexandra Butler and Emily Ni. They are helped by vice president Hope Pruiett, secretary Sara Vandersip, treasurer Sam Levine, service chair Hannah Kaplan, and the rest of the service committee along with the other club members.

This service club is a great way to earn service hours and to get involved at Millbrook. “I think people should join this club because it is one of the best ways to get your service hours that are required for students in the Middle Years Program and International Baccalaureate programme. Going above and beyond in service- based activities leads to stronger friends and fun memories, and it also looks great on college applications,” said club President Alexandra Butler. If you want to join a fun club that always is busy and giving back to the community, you can talk to club members or the adviser, Mrs. Genesky, for more information.