The devastating effects of Hurricane Florence

Fleeing their home, a family of Wilmington residents leave their house to escape the flooding with help from the North Carolina National Guard. Over a week after the deadly Hurricane Florence, people still remain in shelters because of the damage.

Defense.gov

Summer Anderson, Features Editor

Over a week ago the massive Hurricane Florence hit the coastal Carolinas with winds going over ninety miles per hour in some parts of North Carolina. The storm led to forty-three deaths and an estimated fifty billion dollars worth of repairs are needed. There are still hundreds of roads closed, thousands of people without power or water who remain in shelters, and many are being rescued from rising waters and flooding. Many coastal schools are still closed due to the aftermath and will not open again until the beginning of October. The effects of the storm changed the way the North and South Carolina coast will look forever.

Millbrook and many other schools in North Carolina have been doing anything they can  to help out. To help other areas of North Carolina affected by the storm, Millbrook is having a food drive in order to collect food and other necessary items to send to Jones County High School to give to people in need. They are sending food and other items to help people who do not have access to needed supplies. Students can donate canned goods, toiletries, and non perishable items to their 1A or 1B class up until Friday. Some recommended items are peanut butter, toothbrushes, canned soup, canned vegetables, and pasta. The goal is to collect six thousand items school wide to send to shelters, and the winning class will win Chick-Fil-A.  

Hurricane Florence left the North Carolina coast destroyed, and many people around the world are raising money, donating food, and participating in beach clean-ups. Last Sunday, the cast of the popular television show One Tree Hill which was filmed in Wilmington, North Carolina, promoted on social media on how to donate to hurricane relief and aid on their fifteenth anniversary. If you want to help, do not forget to donate items to your first block to help the school reach their goal of six thousand items, which is less than three items per student.