Lights, Camera, Action!: Summer movies to escape the heat

IMDb.com

Advertising two new movies set to premiere this summer, The Secret Life of Pets 2 and Annabelle Comes Home are two different films that are sure to appeal to viewers. This summer there are dozens of movies that are perfect to see to escape the summer heat.

Summer Anderson, Features Editor

The weather is getting warmer, and students are becoming more and more excited for the school year to be over in June. While most enjoy summer, some find themselves bored and searching for something to do, as well as finding a fun way to escape the scorching sun. This summer, there are dozens of movies that are perfect to watch in order to escape the hot weather.

In June there are some great new movies to kick off the summer! The first one being The Secret Life of Pets 2. This is a highly anticipated, family-friendly movie that covers the lives of the numerous pets of New York City and what they do when their owners leave for work. This will be in theatres on June 7 and is rated PG. If you are a fan of action-packed movies that will keep you on the edge of your seat, Shaft may be perfect for you. This movie follows FBI agent John Shaft as he searches for the truth about his father and his past in a highly drama storyline. This movie is rated R and stars Samuel Jackson. Make sure to catch this movie at your local cinema on June 14. Other movies to keep an eye out for this June are Men in Black International, Grudge, and Toy Story 4.

July has multiple new releases for all movie lovers alike. One great option to see this July is Annabelle Comes Home. This movie is perfect for horror fans and is guaranteed to make you scared. This movie follows a group of paranormal investigators as they try to keep a possessed doll from getting loose and haunting people. When Annabelle is released, it is sure to be a spooky treat for the franchise’s fans. This movie will be released on July 3 and is rated R. On July 5, Spider-Man: Far From Home will be released. This film is guaranteed to be a different Spiderman adventure because it is set in Europe. With this major change in scenery, you will not want to miss this movie. This film is rated PG-13 and stars Tom Holland and Zendaya. Other films premiering this July are The Lion King, 17 Bridges, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Closing off the summer strong, August has several movies that are not going to disappoint. The first movie coming out in August is Dora the Explorer. This remake of the classic Nickelodeon show follows Dora as she moves away from the jungle to face her biggest challenge yet, public high school. This movie is set up for success and quickly went viral on Twitter. If you want to reminisce on your childhood, Dora the Explorer is a perfect movie for you to see. This film will be released on August 2 and is rated PG. A great movie to see if you love comedy and action is The New Mutants. Coming out on August 2, this motion picture follows a group of teenagers and mutants with superpowers as they hide their secrets from the world, as well as try to learn how to control their abilities.  Other films coming out this August are Artemis Fowl and Good Boys.

This summer is a perfect chance to relax and spend time with friends and family. If you want to beat the summer heat, these movies are a perfect way to spend a hot summer day. Senior Alaina Griffin said, “I love going to the movies during the summer. I can’t wait to see new movies this summer and especially Spider-Man: Far From Home.”