Andrew Garfield as Johnathan Larson?

Andrew Garfield looking into the camera, along with Lin-Manuel Miranda and the rest of the crew. The crew together analyzes a scene and looks for improvement.

De'Zaria Lucas, Staff Reporter

The movie musical, Tick,Tick…..BOOM!, is narrated by Johnathan Larson, who is portrayed by actor Andrew Garfield. This musical follows the events of Larson creating a musical leading up to his 30th birthday. A few catastrophic events caused him to lose himself quite a bit. This movie features a mixture of heartbreak and loss while also sharing some heartfelt moments. Each character has their own unique part in Johnathan’s story. 

Jonathan Larson was a composer, lyricist and a playwright; he was known for his take on controversial topics and basing his works on the people around him. Lin-Manuel Miranda brings the stories of Jonathan Larson back to life.  Andrew Garfield takes on the responsibilities of becoming Johnathan Larson, where he shows his creative side and great burst of energy. 

In the heartwarming adventure, the writers developed a scenery that is phenomenal,  when speaking with sophomore Emerson Conigilaro about the most memorable sequences in the movie, she explains, “The entirety of the song of Boho Days, because first of all it is a killer song and second it is the most raw scene in the movie. Johnny is just spitting out lyrics spontaneously and having a good time because he does not want the party to end.” Continuing on, sophomore Conigilaro says, “I also love the moondance diner scene where Lin-Manuel Miranda brought in other actors/actresses to aid John in creating ideas for his show, during the song Sunday.”

The most interesting thing about the movie is that Lin-Manuel Miranda did not write the songs, or create the soundtrack, which he is known for doing in a lot of his works. The original musical was created by the real -life John Larson. Lin-Manuel Miranda used the music Larson created for the original musical.  Andrew Garfield trained his voice for this production, as he brings such an authentic sound to the songs by collaborating on each track with individuals with beautiful voices. 

All the individuals involved in this production, on and off camera are all talented.  However, some of the voices that stood out and kept recurring throughout the movie in each song was Vanessa Hudgens. She has such a sweet, angelic tone of voice that flowed greatly for a musical. People like Joshua Henry, who has such a broad voice range

in just about every song along with Andrew Garfield was truly amazing because Andrew has a raspiness essence to his voice. 

As the conversation progressed with sophomore Conigilaro she says, “John Larson is my favorite character because he just loves to have a good time and he constantly feels like he needs to be more, which I relate to, I also like that he knows he does not always have to put people before himself.” This musical is lovable, and brought back to life the legacy the late Johnathan Larson had left behind. This production can be found on Netflix.