New teacher joins the Millbrook team

Adam Griffith

Teaching English I, Ms. Kost helps a student answer a question. Students in the class have helped ease Ms. Kost’s transition into Millbrook.

Adam Griffith, Staff Reporter

Recently, a new teacher, Laura Kost, joined the Millbrook staff. The students and faculty welcome Ms. Kost, who started teaching at the beginning of second quarter. “I’m very excited to be starting here at Millbrook,” Ms. Kost said. “Everybody has been welcoming, and they made a transition that could have been stressful very nice.” So far, Ms. Kost has been teaching at Millbrook for only a few weeks, but she is very enthusiastic about her job. Ms. Kost teaches English I, English II, and Speech II. Ms. Kost has the difficult task of picking up classes that have had multiple substitutes; however, Mrs. Kost has made a great impression with students and parents to get the classes back on track.

Ms. Kost grew up near Fargo, in North Dakota, and she lived there for most of her life. She went to the University of North Dakota, where she got a degree in English.  While she attended the university, she also got a certification in Secondary Education.  

Before starting at Millbrook, Ms. Kost taught in North Dakota for three years. After taking two years off, she worked as a long term substitute at Leesville from August through October of this year. When asked about her hobbies outside of school, she described, being outdoors, going out to eat, and, of course, her love of reading. “I like teaching because I love learning new things,” Ms. Kost said. “And teaching gives me a chance to do that.” Even though Ms. Kost has not been at Millbrook for every long, her enthusiasm and the appreciation for the subjects she teaches have affected the students. Both the faculty and students are more than happy to welcome Ms. Kost to the MHS staff.  

Ms. Kost is replacing Mrs. Fouty, who unexpectedly resigned during the first quarter. Students in all of her classes are happy with the transition and think that Ms. Kost is an excellent addition to Millbrook.