Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

Preparing for the Solar Eclipse

On April 8, 2024, a total solar eclipse will pass through Mexico, the U.S., and Canada. The forecast is projecting that it will be most visible in the Northeast, with the Southern region being cloudy.
However, even when it is overcast, the eclipse can be seen. It will begin on Mexico’s Pacific Coast, crossing northwestern Pennsylvania and New York and ending at the Atlantic coast. This event will be the only total solar eclipse visible in the United States until 2044.
A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the Earth and the sun is completely blocked. Darkness will be present during the day for those on the eclipse path. Depending on the weather and the cloud cover, those in its path may observe the “ring of fire” visible as a luminous ring around the moon.
Even though many people believe that a total solar eclipse is rare, it occurs at least once every 18 months and sometimes multiple times. It is rare, however, for it to be seen in the same place on Earth. The last time the total eclipse was seen on the East Coast of the U.S. was in 2017, and before that, it was 38 years earlier.
Remember that l looking directly at the eclipse without proper solar glasses can cause eye damage, including blindness in the center of the eye. This includes looking through binoculars, phones, or cameras. You can buy solar eclipse glasses that allow you to see the eclipse while not hurting your eyes at Amazon or https://www.eclipseglasses.com/