Today In Sports History

The packed Bryant Denny stadium as shown above will be filled to max capacity again for this years Iron Bowl. The Alabama fans as shown in the picture above hope to keep their perfect season going and reach 12-0 to end the regular season.

WikimediaCommons.com

Robbie Cicciari, Staff Reporter

On Saturday, November 26, the greatest rivalry in college sports history will be renewed. The Alabama Crimson Tide are playing the Auburn Tigers for the 2016 Iron Bowl. These two rivals have played each other 80 times, with Alabama leading the series 44-35-1. Traditionally, the game is held every Saturday after Thanksgiving, with the game being held at Alabama’s Bryant Denny Stadium this year. Every year, this game is considered one of the biggest most important of the year, but this year it could be even more important than usual. Both teams being ranked in the top 25 teams in the country, as well as the game having playoff implication, raises the stakes even higher.

The rivalry may be fierce on the field, but it is even fiercer off the field. For  example, in 2011 an Alabama fan, Harvey Almon Updyke, poisoned the Toomer’s Corner Trees. The trees are a gathering place for Auburn fans after big wins. Mr. Updyke called a local talk show and said that he applied herbicide to the trees, which led to the discovery of the trees dying, and his eventual arrest. This sparked the rivalry to become as heated as ever before.

With the entire country watching when Alabama and Auburn play this year, they will battle each and every play to the bitter end. This year’s game surely will not disappoint! With Alabama’s star players, Damien Harris, Jalen Hurts and O.J. Howard, they will look to shine  playing against Auburn’s stars: Kamryn Pettaway, Tony Stevens and newly named starting quarterback John Franklin III. If each of these players perform to the highest potential they will lead their respective teams to victory. With alumni like Cam Newton, Mark Ingram, CJ Mosley, Dont’a Hightower, and Karlos Dansby, the teams are held to high standards with this game being a must win. Almost every football fan out there will be watching and sophomore Axel Kjellberg is no different. He said, “I definitely will be watching this year. Alabama is so good, and I just want them to finally lose.”

Alabama has a current two game win streak over Auburn, dating back to 2014; will they be able to add to it? Will Auburn fight back and win as the underdog? Can Alabama hold on to their perfect season? This November 26th will history be rewritten? There is only one way to have these questions answered, watching this year’s Iron Bowl!