Honoring Mr. Patton For his Time Here at Millbrook

Here is our amazing former Assistant Principal Charles Patton. We are honored to have had him here at Millbrook!

Sofia Burr Reynolds, section editor

When you think of an inspiring and dedicated person here at Millbrook, people think of Mr. Patton. Charles Patton has contributed so much to the school such as supporting the arts departments, working with teachers, assisting with scheduling, and catching parents up with information on his Facebook lives. Mr. Patton has been given the opportunity to work as the Senior Administrator for Digital Learning at the district level for Wake County. 

When asked about how he feels about this job he says, “It’s complicated. This position is a great opportunity but it’s hard to leave a place that has been home for so long and that is full of so many loving people.” Patton has been at Millbrook for about 7 years and his contributions will be remembered. 

Mr. Patton has deeply affected many students and staff. He especially loves to contribute and help the arts programs as much as possible. Band director Mr. Payne, and Mr. Patton developed a connection as soon as Mr. Payne started working here. Mr. Patton was a prior band director and played in bands when he was a student. Mr. Patton has worked with Mr. Payne helping him with projects such as marching band and jazz band. He also helped conduct the band during a fall trip to Winston-Salem to perform at this big conference. When asked how he would describe Mr. Patton and his contributions to the band program, Mr. Payne says, “He’s creative. He always thinks outside the box and he thinks differently than other people. As a person, I like to play things safe, but Patton likes to push people and he’s not afraid to try new things.” To honor Mr. Patton, the Millbrook’s band boosters have created a Patton award as an honor of how much he has helped the program. A student will be given this award each year for outstanding leadership and high energy. 

Apart from helping the band program, Mr. Patton also likes to work with other arts departments such as chorus. Mr. Adams, the chorus teacher here at Millbrook, appreciates how much Mr. Patton is passionate about growing the arts program. Mr. Patton has stepped in multiple times when the program was going down and has supported these teachers in anything they needed. Adams describes Mr. Patton by saying, “He deeply cares about his students and teachers; he’s not an administrator who distances himself away from everyone. He’s always out in the halls helping and talking to people. 

When asking students about how they viewed Mr. Patton and how he has contributed to the school, Junior Elise Edmonson says, “He is so slay.” Many students love seeing Patton in the hallways and he always is very kind and caring toward others. A group of band students, when asked how they feel about Patton, said, “We love him.” Patton is an inspiration to the school and his many contributions to students and staff will be missed greatly. 

Taking the role in our new Assistant Principal position is Kathleen Wit. She was originally from Long Island, New York, and moved to Raleigh in 2009. Out of her 14 years of teaching, she worked in high school for 13 years and is currently working at Hilburn Drive Academy teaching 7th and 8th grade. Excited to enter Millbrook, Wit says, “I’m really looking forward to collaborating with the teachers and other administrators at Millbrook to ensure all students receive the very best learning experiences.” Witis also very collaborative and hopes to contribute a lot to school and student achievement.