Honoring Dana King Day of Service at Millbrook

Working+together+to+clean+up+around+campus.+Dana+King+Day+of+Service+was+great+and+something+awesome+for+the+Millbrook+community.+

Photo by Madison Solomon

Working together to clean up around campus. Dana King Day of Service was great and something awesome for the Millbrook community.

Carter Ramey, Co-Editor in Chief and Social Media Director

On April 29, Millbrook held the second annual Dana King Day of Service to honor our former principal who passed away last year. Mrs. King served as principal for 19 years and truly left an impact on the Millbrook community. To honor her commitment Millbrook has a day of service on the last Saturday of April. The goal of this day is to make Millbrook a little better in whatever way is needed. This could be putting mulch out, clearing sidewalks of  trash, and so much more. The National Honors Society and FFA take this opportunity to get mandated service hours for the clubs. 

This year the focus was to clean the natural areas around the front of Millbrook. Gabi Hostler, a senior and member of NHS says, “For the most part [we] helped pick weeds and then put out mulch.” This small activity can really make a difference with the appearance of Millbrook when coming in. Mrs. King wanted Millbrook to be at its best both for the students and faculty,  but also the campus itself. While just cleaning up Millbrook seems hard and annoying, the meaning behind this is so much more. This day of service to honor Mrs. King is to show how amazing Millbrook is and all the people involved. 

These tasks that are set out to be done on this day are something that is rewarding to be a part of. Madison Solomon, a senior who participated in the day of service says, “It felt so good to be able to give back to Millbrook after all I have gained from here after 4 years. Also, to honor Mrs. King just makes it mean so much more.” While Mrs. King is no longer with us, she allowed us to create this great thing here at Millbrook that will bring students and faculty together forever and better Millbrook.