National Honors Society 2024 Induction ceremony
Morgan Wallen Arrested on Felony Charge

North Carolina State Fair

The North Carolina State Fair is in the top ten list of best state fairs in the United States. From food to agriculture fun, friends and family travel from all over to visit the 11 day event.

Amusement parks and state fairs happen all around the United States. Each one is unique, but they all provide happiness and fun to many people. The 2023 North Carolina state fair opened Thursday, October 12 and is ending on Sunday the 22. 

The North Carolina state fair attracts people from all over the state, and the surrounding ones too. Located in Raleigh, the fair brings agriculture, animals, and food from far and wide to be included in the events. The North Carolina state fair ranks ninth on a list of the best fairs in the United States according to. With an average of 1.01 million visitors per year, North Carolina brings a lot of participants for the 11-day event. 

One main attraction is the food. With many unique options, including bacon wrapped turkey legs, deep fried candy and footlong corn dogs, many get excited to eat. More than 50 new treats and food are being added to the fair this year. Some of the main releases are Little Local empanadas, a bacon mac and cheese sundae, and an ostrich smash burger. Sophomore Jordan Davis says, “I love the funnel cakes. You can smell them as you walk through the grounds, and I think it’s the food I associate most with the fair.” 

Another attraction are the rides. The Cliff Hanger, a ride where you lay down on your stomach and act as if you are paragliding, is one that is fun for all ages. The Wave Swinger is the big swing that always creates a long line. From ferris wheels to rides in the kid section, there is a fun option for everyone. 

Games are another reason the fair produces so much attention. From the water skirting games, to the dart throws, everyone tests their luck to win a big stuffed animal or a goldfish. 

But the rides and the food isn’t the only reason why the fair is so big in North Carolina. With the state being a major agricultural site, the fair also celebrates North Carolina’s animals and plants. Animal Science teacher at Millbrook, Ms. Goblet says, “Considering I have not been on a ride since the 5th grade, the fair is so much more than the rides. The fair oozes heritage and all sectors of agriculture. My favorite part about the fair is seeing all the people coming together and learning/appreciating all things agriculture.” 

The fair brings many people together. From riding rides and playing games, to learning about the communities around Raleigh, the state fair is an important and fun event in North Carolina each October.