Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

Why is “The Godfather” mother?

Lights! Camera! Action!
Uncovering the truth to why The Godfather is one of 
the highest ranked movies in the USA
Uncovering the truth to why The Godfather is one of the highest ranked movies in the USA

“Is it worth it?” This is a question people ask themselves daily when making choices. Sometimes these decisions are as simple as deciding what to have for dinner. Since you are reading this article, you’re probably wondering if watching “The Godfather,” is it worth it.

Unlike suddenly popular movies that didn’t do well when they first came out, “The Godfather” was popular from the jump when it was released on March 24, 1972. In the year it came out, it reached $250-$291 million in the box office. Not only was it the highest grossing movie of 1972, but it also went on to win three Oscars. It’s clear the movie did well on release, but the question is, “why?”  

“A must watch if you’re a film person.” Mrs. Genesky, an English teacher at Millbrook, called “The Godfather.” When asked if she has ever seen the film and if so, did she like it, Genesky started to speak very passionately about one of her favorite movies that she has watched numerous times. 

She started off by saying, “I was actually thinking about “The Godfather” the other day.” The reasons behind her loving the movie is the time period, how it spans over the course of multiple years, and the setting. The time period is the mid 1940’s, a time that included the Holocaust and World War II, and the setting is New York City. These are very valid aspects to why the movie did well because World War II is a very popular time period featured in movies and New York City is, well, New York City. There has to be a deeper meaning to the movies’ popularity though.

The other day I spoke to my mother in the car and I asked her why she thinks “The Godfather” is so popular. She said, “America is a country of immigrants, so everyone loves a rags-to-riches story.” This quote is very impactful and a new perspective on the reason for the movies’ success in America specifically.

When the movie came out, the country was filled with displaced people from other places because of the war, including Italians who were forming new roots within America. Because of this, the movie really spoke to the demographic of people in America and portrayed the often violent Italian mob as being family oriented, clean cut, and shrewd businessmen.

For instance in the movie, Don Corleone is plotting hits on people in his office in the first couple minutes and then dancing with his daughter at her wedding 20 minutes later. There’s definitely glorification involved, but the point of it is that this is their way out of poverty and they’re forging their own path. Humane or not, as Michael Corleone said, “It’s not personal, It’s strictly business.” So, is it worth it? The answer is yes.

View Comments (3)