Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

Seasonal Sights: A Guide to NC’s Best Haunted Houses

One of Kersey Valley Spookywoods’ sixteen haunted houses. Photo: Neil Jester

Visiting a haunted house is one of the most classic ways to settle into the Halloween spirit. Haunted attractions can be tailored for all age groups and scare-tolerance levels. North Carolina has some of the United States’ scariest haunted attractions, many of which aren’t far from the state’s capital, Raleigh. Make sure you don’t miss out on the spooky fun this fall.

Panic Point, located in Youngsville, N.C. is only about a forty-five minute drive from Raleigh. It includes six individual attractions: the Haunted Forest, Dark Trail: Swamp, Howling Hayride, Killers in the Corn, Stalker’s Farm, and Carny Crypt. While there is no real scare level classification system, Panic Point says their attractions are all rated PG-13. Annelise Renyolds, a junior and Panic Point employee says, “I think the scariest part of Panic Point is the Clown House section of the Haunted Forest because there are a lot of jumpscares and fake clowns. The flashing lights also add a lot of effect.” Panic Point opens at 6:30 p.m. on weekends and stays open until 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and until 9 p.m. on Sundays. It will also be open until 9 p.m. on Halloween day. Ticket prices range from $30 to $75 depending on the expected crowd. The last day to attend is November 4.

The Woods of Terror, located in Greensboro, N.C. didn’t become one of the best-rated haunted houses in the state for no reason. It features 16 unique haunted attractions, each with very different concepts. Two of the site’s most popular attractions are based on spooky movies or TV shows. Eleven’s Nightmare is a Stranger Things inspired journey into the show’s Creel House, where the visitor imitates the character Eleven and must escape the terrifying hallucinations of Vecna. The Woods of Terror also includes an attraction called The Purge, which features a recreation of the inmate processing and reprogramming center of the famous horror movie series. Other attractions range from murderous mining sites to haunted pirate coves. Tickets range from $37 for general admission to $125 for VIP.

Kersey Valley Spookywoods is often regarded as the very best haunted house in North Carolina, and it has over two thousand Google Reviews that average a rating of 4.4 stars. It’s located in Archdale, a small city near Greensboro. It features fifteen haunted buildings, a cornfield lazer maze, a dark tram ride, and a haunted trail featuring icons of horror. Berklee Axford, a sophomore, visited the Spookywoods last year and says, “My favorite part was definitely the corn maze. It’s huge, and it was really scary, fun, and creative since I’ve never been in any other corn maze that makes you dodge lasers.” Ticket prices range from $25 for general admission to $75 for immediate access. 

Panic Point, the Woods of Terror, and Kersey Valley Spookywoods are three of NC’s very best fall seasonal sights that you don’t want to miss out on.

View Comments (3)