The mood enhancer named exercise

The Eka Pada Koundinyasana I is one of many different yoga poses used as a type of exercise. GABA, the anti-anxiety molecule, is released naturally during yoga causing a sense of calmness.

wikimedia.org

Evan Houze, Staff Reporter

We all know that one person who is always in a good mood, always quite energetic, and always smiling. They exuberate positive energy, and you just wish you could always be in the mood they are in. Chances are, if that person is constantly full of energy, they exercise a lot, or at least on a regular basis. Positive emotions need energy to fuel them when the outside world is not at its best. Therefore, people who exercise and have a high stamina level can maintain their happiness through tough times. As an antidepressant, exercise works by releasing some feel-good brain chemicals like neurotransmitters, endorphins and endocannabinoids. There are more neurochemicals that factor in a person’s happiness like dopamine, oxytocin, GABA, serotonin, and adrenaline. Each can be released by different natural activities. Oxytocin activates when you have human bonds like a boyfriend or girlfriend, and serotonin activates when you reinforce your sense of purpose, meaning, and accomplishments. Working out can naturally release multiple chemicals, oxytocin if you exercise with friends, serotonin after accomplishing a workout goal, GABA (the anti-anxiety chemical) during yoga and so forth. Less scientifically, exercise helps the mind and body in basic ways like the calming effect you get when your body warms up. Challenging yourself and living up to your own high expectations can boost your confidence and take your mind off the common worries of life. Junior Katie Haven said, “Going to the gym with my friends is always fun and a possibility when there is nothing else to do. It’s not as entertaining by yourself but working out is always a good idea.”

Sports teams are a great way to get regular exercise and have a required workout schedule. You feel the need not to miss practice which gives you more purpose to be in shape. Regardless if it is serious exercise or just casual workouts, getting in the gym will improve your mood about as much as it will improve your body. The harder you work and push yourself will cause better results that correlate with your sense of success. Sustaining an athletic body almost always leaves the person with a strong sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Sophomore Jacob Lewis said, “When I used to play travel hockey, I was always in shape, and two years after quitting I am still just as athletic. Working out almost always makes your life better in some way.” Exercise can help you in many different ways. Athletic ability leads you to senses of satisfaction, happiness, and acceptance that are hard to find in just one place. Going to the gym brings so many possibilities and entertaining things to do that you are sure to be in a good mood!