Don’t be “latte”, try these coffee destinations!

Jada Brinson

Scanning the menu, hungry customers gather at Jubala for a delectable bite to eat. Jubala offers various food and beverage options, including vegetarian and vegan-friendly menu items.

Emily Ficker, Staff Reporter

You don’t have to be an espresso connoisseur to know that visiting a coffee shop is not just about the coffee, but the experience as a whole. Raleigh is home to over twenty coffee houses, but with an overwhelming amount of choices, which ones come out on top?
If you are looking local to North Raleigh, Sola Coffee Cafe is the place to be. Early birds are in for a treat because Sola opens at 6:30 am on weekdays and 7:00 am on Saturdays. Their Morning Kitchen offers diverse menu options, taking into consideration gluten allergies and health-conscious customers. All of their lighter fare breakfast items are under $5, ideal for students in search of a cost effective and healthy snack. Senior Ana Iglesias expressed, “I really, really love Sola’s Caprese sandwich because it has mozzarella, tomato basil, olive oil and balsamic.” The heart of Sola is in their specialty donuts and espresso bar, though. Their “famous” delectable mini donuts can be ordered sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar, or chocolate. Customers should order their donuts early because they often sell out early. As for espresso, customers have over fourteen drinks to choose from. They offer international favorites, such as the piquant, Spain-originated Cortado or foamy, Italian-originated Macchiato. All of Sola’s coffee is from Counter Culture; a Durham-based coffee supplier dedicated to offering seasonal and local coffee.
Looking for a charming, quaint cafe in the heart of downtown Raleigh? Joule Coffee & Table is the perfect spot for you. Dark wooden tones and exposed brick make for a classic atmosphere, an uncommon characteristic in modern-day cafes. Like Sola, Joule’s most popular espressos with milk include Cortado, Macchiato, and Cappuccinos. What sets Joule apart is for $0.50, customers can add exotic flavors of milk, such as Madagascar Vanilla, Callebaut Chocolate or Caramel. They also offer “One & One”, where customers can combine their two favorite latte flavors into one, delectable drink. Joule’s counter seating is functional for studying or homework purposes while their traditional seating is great for eating out with friends. With 4.3 stars from Google Reviews, Joule Coffee Table is a downtown favorite.
The final coffee destination possesses the perfect balance of functionality, comfortability, convenience, and satisfactory service. You guessed it: Jubala Coffee. Jubala is located within the Lafayette Village shopping center, a short five-minute drive from Millbrook. Though it does get crowded on Sundays, Jubala has a variety of seating options: long community tables, counter seating, and intimate window-side tables. Jubala’s primary specialty is their scrumptious, homemade biscuits. They are served fresh all day, so you can order them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Spice things up with bittersweet apple butter spread, pimento cheese, or Nutella atop any biscuit. Sensational food doesn’t stop there because Jubala’s drip brew coffee is the best in the Triangle. “I love Jubala’s vanilla latte because it isn’t too strong or too sweet,” said sophomore Justine Annab. Every few weeks, Jubala updates their “seasonal lattes”; some previous flavors being raspberry mocha and pumpkin spice. Even more recently, Jubala has opened a second location on Hillsborough Street across from the NC State Campus due to popular demand. This location offers the same menu items as its North Raleigh location, but in a more contemporary space.
Communities revolve around coffee shops. They serve as quiet work spaces, locations for first dates and even job interviews. Whatever your location, budget, or coffee needs are, every coffee house in Raleigh has something unique to offer.