How to: college

Working on the spring musical, the cast of Annie Get Your Gun can use their experience in theatre on college application. Junior Sydney Hewett has been participating in the Millbrook productions since freshman year, which is one of many great ways to look desirable to colleges.

L. Conoly

Laura Conoly, Staff Reporter

College: the thought in the back of every student’s mind. Planning for college brings up multiple questions on where and when to start, and with everyone giving a different answer, it can be a stressful process. The answers depend on many variables, particularly where you are in your high school education. There is no “right way” to prepare for post high school education, it is personalized to you.  Sophomore Sarah Tate Durling said, “The best advice about college I have gotten is to focus and do work now so you do not have to stress when it is time to start applying.” The tip you will hear the most is to start early, which is the easiest and most important way to prepare. Starting early does not mean starting applications in seventh grade, but you can start exploring interests and deciding what aspects of college are most important to you. In doing that one step, you will already be ahead.

In order to decide how to proceed after high school, you need to have an idea of areas you are interested in or would consider a career in. Many colleges will have programs and courses that another college may not. Along with knowing your interests, knowing what you want out of college can be a big help in narrowing down colleges. Some priorities students look for in colleges are location, size, and lifestyle you want to be looking at colleges that meet your personal requirements. Senior Nick Billman says, “My advice for preparing for college is to do lots of research about majors and colleges, do not be afraid to reach out to people and ask questions, and plan trips to visit schools and take tours.”

Another important aspect of college preparation is continuing extracurriculars, community service, and high grades and test scores to make yourself desirable to colleges. While SAT, ACT, and other test scores are important, they are not the only aspect that decides acceptance into university. Your goal should be to stay involved in school and the community. Colleges will be interested not only in what you are participating in, but also for how long you participate. They are looking for students who are committed and take part in a variety of activities. Of course, you also want to maintain high grades along with taking challenging courses. It is better to take challenging courses and not make all A’s than take easy classes and keep extremely high grades. All of these things translate into the kind of person you are and the qualities you have, so as you go through your high school career keep in mind how the choices you make will translate to college admissions and if that is that how you want them to see you.

The biggest advantage you can give yourself no matter what is using your resources. Counselors and teachers do not only see their students go through the application process, but have been through it themselves and are there for you to talk to. Those resources will also be the most keyed in and up to date on the college process. Along with teachers, administration, and counselors, there are also free online resources specifically for preparing for after high school, college or otherwise. One of the best online resources is www.bigfuture.collegeboard.org, set up by the National College Board with information about college preparation and college comparisons. If you have an interest in a specific college, many universities have student blogs for student perspective. Take advantage of all opportunities to prepare and make yourself the best college candidate you can be.