Don’t Forget About Our Planet

Our planet has slowly became a dumping ground for any toxic chemical or product, and eventually our environment will slowly reach its breaking point. Earth Day was set to raise awareness to slow down degradation and help keep our environment healthy.

www.flicker.com

Kayla Mercer, Staff Reporter

Have you ever wondered why Earth Day is considered holiday? Or even wondered why April 22 is the chosen day to celebrate it? The history of the beginnings of Earth Day goes back to the year of 1970. That year was filled with anti-war and environmental protests.

In 1969 after witnessing a massive oil spill, Gaylord Nelson, the founder of Earth Day, decided he would bring attention to the safety and health related circumstances of the earth. At the time, he was a U.S Senator from Wisconsin, which gave him room to voice this idea. This then persuaded Pete McCloskey to act as the co-chairmen. Doing so, he then recruited republican congressman, Denis Haynes. Denis Haynes became the national coordinator of the committee and built a staff which included a very active member named Judy Moody. Judy Moody also helped him organize the Environmental teach-in and also worked the telephones,.

There are many assumptions as to why April 22 was chosen. The most commonly accepted one is that it was chosen because it fell between Spring Break and final exams for the college students, who are often guilty of littering their Spring Break destinations. So that day in the year of 1970, approximately 20 million people across the nation participated in rallies, protests and speeches to raise awareness for a having and needing a healthy environment for everyone. In addition, many colleges and universities helped organize these events. These many gatherings eventually gained a lot of attention from political parties. By the end of 1970, Earth Day helped influence the creation of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and also the creation of the Clean Air, Clean Water and Endangered Species Acts.

This historic day, which often goes unnoticed, has played a major part in awareness of everyone having a healthy environment. Now the impact of the very first Earth Day has evolved to people contributing to community service. Senior Yasmin Williams said, “I contribute by cleaning up my neighborhood and helping local businesses nearby.” These many activities that people contribute have started from the very beginning of your life. Freshman Rylee Thomas said of her past contributions to Earth Day, “In elementary school and middle school, my class would pick up trash around the outside of the school, plant flowers and etc. and wear green in support of Earth Day.” As humans we inevitably contribute to the damage of the Earth. Our man made items, such as factories, power plants and waste disposal landfills, all cause the downfall of the health of the earth, so why not want to keep it healthy?