Is “Deflategate” Finally Over?

Warming up prior to a game Tom Brady is shown throwing a ball. His first game of the 2016-17 NFL season was definitely a success, as the Patriots won the game 33-13.

Flickr.com

Robbie Cicciari, Staff Reporter

Tom Brady of the National Football League’s (NFL) New England Patriots came back from suspension this week. He was suspended 4 games for his role in the infamous “Deflategate” that occurred during the 2015 American Football Conference (AFC) Championship game versus the Indianapolis Colts. Brady was accused of deflating the footballs used by the Patriots prior to the game. The suspension was originally set to be served at the beginning of the 2015-16 NFL season, but the matter was set to be moved to a federal court. The court overturned the suspension given by Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the NFL, due to insufficient evidence and Brady played the entire season. The case eventually was brought to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals prior to the current NFL season. It resulted in Brady’s suspension being reinstated and him missing the Patriot’s first 4 games this year. Sophomore Ryan Burkey said that “ He should have been suspended longer. I don’t think cheaters should be able to play at all!”

In his absence, the Patriots still continued their winning ways taking 3 of 4 and going into week 5 with a 3-1 record. Backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo was named starter during these games until he got hurt and third string quarterback Jacoby Brissett had to start the 4th and final game without Brady. The team was hurt by him not being able to play, but it could have been a lot worse.

In Brady’s first game back, he played against the Cleveland Browns at home in Foxboro, MA. His return brought great success along with it as he threw 3 touchdowns for 406 yards along with 14 yards rushing on 2 attempts. An avid fan of the team, Junior Shelbie Letendre said, “I’m really happy he came back and played so good;  they’re my favorite team, and I love Brady.” Brady may be one of the most loved and hated players in the league, but no one can call him a bad player. He appeared to show no rust during the game and his actions spoke louder than any of his critics could. Under their starting quarterback the New England Patriots will look to once more fight through the adversity and win yet another Super Bowl.