Investment Club

A. McCloskey

Discussing new ideas for the Investment Club with adviser Mr. Hosking, sophomore and president of the Investment Club Caroline Lewis does her duty as president. The Investment Club has many guest speakers come in to educate members about investing.

Alex McCloskey, Section Editor

It is time to invest in a better future. Students participating in the Investment Club are learning how to do just that. The president of this after school activity, sophomore Caroline Lewis says, “The thing I enjoy the most about the club is the environment. It’s filled with very fun, outgoing, and bright individuals that love getting involved.” Students meet in Mr. Hosking’s room, room. Meetings happen every third Monday of each month.

If you are interested in learning about investing or sharing your knowledge, this club is the one for you. Upon entering the environment, students may have the opportunity to listen to a guest speaker discuss investment strategies. Secretary of the club, senior August Majtenyi says, “I was in the club last year. We were able to attract speakers from various places, all with different perspectives on the stock market and how to properly invest one’s money.” Information for any future investor is acquired from speakers ranging from Fidelity Mutual businessmen with ideas about mutual funds to elite private investors that make money through hedge funds. At the end of each meeting, the winner of the monthly uptick challenge is rewarded a prize. Monthly upticks in Investment Club are where members are given $20,000 to invest in stocks and learn how to invest. All money is fake, but the stock exchange is the same. Any new ideas or activities that members can think of are always considered by the officers and can possibly happen. “I coordinate various speakers to speak about proper investment techniques and strategies. I also help run monthly meetings as well as the investment game uptick where we learn day trading and real life investment strategies,” says vice president of the Investment Club and senior David Flowers.

Learning from these guest speakers can really open the eyes to any aspiring investors. The environment and people partaking in this after school activity provide for an optimal experience for anyone seeking to join. It was founded last year by alumni Jack Banask, where around ten people would come to each meeting. This year, it is expected to grow in size quite significantly. Members learn a remarkable amount in the short amount of time spent in the room. Investing time in this club and with its members will provide for time well spent!