The Drought is Finally Over

Cubs Win World Series

Awarded to the champion of Major League Baseball every year, the World Series trophy was given to the Chicago Cubs. The Cubs ended their 108 year championship drought by winning the 2016 World Series

Flickr.com

Robbie Cicciari, Staff Reporter

The two teams with the longest MLB championship droughts clashed in the 2016 World Series. The cubs had not won the Fall Classic since 1908, 108 years ago; so when the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians Met in this year’s world series, the Chicago Cubs historic dry spell ended! Through all the heartbreak and curse, the Cubs finally won it all, broke  the curse, and brought the championship back to Chicago.

For game 1 of the World Series, the Indians had home field advantage. Besides just having the fans behind them, they seemed to have everything going for them throughout. The Indians jumped to an early lead in the bottom of the first inning, scoring 2 runs, and they never looked back. The game was a 6-0 win for the Indians, taking  a 1-0 series lead.

In game, 2 it was the complete opposite story. The Cubs were the dominate team as they jumped out to the early lead and never gave it up scoring the first 5 runs of the game. The Cubs ended up only giving up one run in the game and won 5-,1 tieing up the series at 1-1 heading to Chicago.

Game 3 was a close low scoring game throughout. It was a scoreless game until Coco Crisp hit a  pinch hit single that ended up being the difference in the game. The Indians held the 1 run lead with help from star relief pitcher Andrew Miller and won 1-0 to take the 2-1 series lead.

In game 4, it looked like the Cubs would gain all the momentum, with a homerun in the bottom of the first to give them the lead.  Cleveland came back strong in the next inning, scoring 2 runs and eventually scoring 7 straight runs on the way to a 7-2 win. It brought the series to 3-1, with the Indians 1 win away from capturing the championship.

Game 5 was a must win for the Cubs. They had one big inning in the game scoring all 3 of their runs. They shut them down the rest of the game though with the help of their closer Aroldis Chapman coming in 2 innings early. Sophomore Joseph Adams said, “I don’t know why they pitched Chapman so much, he’s going to get tired by the end of the series.”   The Cubs  won 3-2 and brought the series back to 3-2 heading to Cleveland for game 6.

In Game 6, Addison Russell was the star as he got 6 RBI’s in the first 3 innings of the game! He capped it off with a grand slam to open the floodgates. The game was a blowout as the Cubs won 9-3 and tied the series up at 3-3 for the all important game 7.

The  most electric game of the series came in game 7. It was a back and forth game throughout; the Cubs jumped out to a 5-1 lead, but the Indians rallied back and tied the game at 6-6 in the bottom of the eighth. The game continued into extra innings, but first there was a rain delay extending the anticipation. In the top of the 10th, the Cubs scored two runs to bring the game to 8-6, but the Indians still had a chance to tie in the bottom of the inning. They tried with everything they could only managed to score 1 run! The Cubs won 8-7, and the 108 year drought was finally over!