Creative Cats

Vinnie Davies

L. Conoly

Rehearsing for Millbrook’s fall production Flowers for Algernon with Sarah Bailey, Carmen Blackwell, and Carson Weddle, Vinnie Davies is a noteworthy arts student. He is a part of the arts both in and out of school, as an actor and drummer.

Laura Conoly, Features Editor

Even though he is only a sophomore, Vinnie Davies has most definitely distinguished himself as an arts student. He is a part of the Millbrook Theatre Department, as well as being the drummer of a band in his personal time. He started playing drums in elementary school, having been inspired that his parents were in a band when they met. He stopped briefly after losing his teacher, and he then played on and off again for his middle school until finally deciding to take drum lessons in eighth grade. Since then, he has been going to rock band summer camps, and with the friends he made there, he started a band.

Along with the drums, Vinnie is also involved in theatre. In elementary school he started doing theatre camps with the Right Track Academy in Raleigh, where children can learn acting skills and put on plays for an audience. He continued pursuing this passion by being a part of middle school productions, and now is a part of the fall play at Millbrook: Flowers for Algernon, the first show Vinnie ever auditioned for. When asked what his experience with the production has been like Vinnie said, “I have enjoyed it and have met some really cool people.” He has taken on a distinguished role in the play, having to perform in a Scottish accent and be a strong supporting character. Everyone from castmates to directors have loved working with him, saying he makes every rehearsal interesting and puts all his energy into every scene he is a part of. The cast and crew have also been very impressed by Vinnie’s outstanding charisma and professional attitude toward the show. Mr. Kotzian, the director of Flowers for Algernon, said, “Vinnie has become a role model for other young theatre students who aspire to perform on Millbrook’s stage. He is friendly, respectful, and demonstrates all the qualities that represent a great performing arts student.” After Vinnie’s first opening night with Millbrook, he said, “It’s like going down a tunnel of fun and then seeing a light. Then, you think that the light is an exit, but really it’s a train, and while it’s coming closer I jump on. Overall, it was very fun and I plan to continue doing it.” Though Vinnie does not plan to pursue drumming or theatre as a career, he will have made his mark both on stages in and out of Millbrook. Tonight is the last night of Flowers for Algernon, so make sure to catch Vinnie and other performers in this stellar production.