How To

DIY Christmas Decor

+Decorating+the+house+during+the+Holiday+Season+is+one+of+the+most+exciting+times+of+the+year.+To+start+this+season%2C+here+are+three+crafts+that+can+help++you+the+joy+of+the+season.

L. Powers

Decorating the house during the Holiday Season is one of the most exciting times of the year. To start this season, here are three crafts that can help you the joy of the season.

Logan Powers, Photography Editor

As Christmas approaches, you may be looking for something that is simple enough to make that can double as a present.  You need something small that will not cost too much, and that you can enjoy making with your family. Sophomore Brooke McClendon, recalls a favorite Christmas tradition: “My mother and I do some form of Christmas craft every year… it is fun and a big part of my holiday!” Here are three cool crafts you can make at home that will help you feel the joy of the holidays and could be presents for family and friends.

To start off simple, the first project is mini decorations that can double as small gift boxes. You need a few cardboard rolls from toilet paper or paper towels, some ribbon, and wrapping paper scraps. Take the rolls and fold them horizontally so that they are flat. Then, take the ends and fold them in so that they fall over each other inside the roll. Now, wrap the scraps around the middle so that the rolls are almost fully covered. Then wrap the ribbon around and tie it in a bow. Now you have mini centerpieces that double as gift boxes.

The second project is a Kit Kat sled. This is perfect as a gift for your family or friends to show your appreciation. You will need one Kit Kat bar, two candy canes, two Hershey Kisses, one mini Hershey’s bar and hot glue. Take the Kit Kat and put two lines of hot glue on the bottom (horizontally). Then quickly place both candy canes on the lines with ends facing upward. Hold them while they dry. If you did this correctly, you should have ended with the Kit Kat as the body of the sled and candy canes on the bottom to slide through the snow. Next, take the mini candy bar and make a seat for “passengers.” Finally, put the Hershey Kisses on top of the seat as passengers. The finished product should be a candycane sled with two Hershey riders on top. Then you can take it apart and eat each individual candy.

The final project is a candy cane wreath. For this you will need twenty candy canes, some small hard candies, and a large ornament, and some ribbon. The first step is to take the candy canes and make pairs of two. Then hot glue them back to back so that they almost make a “M” shape. Once you have this there should be 10 pairs. Step two is to hot glue the top ends and the bottom ends together when facing each other. This should make almost a heart shape. Then continue this pattern all the way around so that as a finished project you have all 20 candy canes put together and made into a circle. Now,  let it sit for a few minutes to allow for drying time. Next, add some decorations. They can be anything from small bows to hard candy spread randomly all over. Whatever you do, make sure to leave room in the middle for the big ending. As a final touch, step four is to take the large ornament and hot glue it in the center of the wreath. Doing this will really pull it together and make it look better overall. Now you have an official candy cane wreath to hang on your front door for the holidays.

These projects are sure to put you in the Christmas spirit and make the holidays a little more fun. Every material you need can be found at 5 Below, too.  Happy Holidays!