Trump Creates a Divide

wikipedia.org

With strong supporters, Trump is taking over America with a highly opinionated rule. On January 20, 2017, Donald Trump will become the 45 president of the United States.

London Gardner, Staff Reporter

Police brutality became a prominent issue in society in 2015. Of course, there had been incidents in previous years, but it was broadcasted more recently. Police brutality is the use of excessive and/or unnecessary force when dealing with civilians. This has gone as far as many people losing their lives, sometimes for no apparent reason. On November 9, 2016, Donald Trump was elected the next President of the United States. His campaign has brought about several incidents between different races that have caused a divide. Statistics have shown that most occasions of police brutality have been attacks of racial discrimination, and this will probably get worse during Trump’s presidency.

Nearly nine hundred incidents of hate crimes were reported in the ten days following the election between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Swastikas were drawn on synagogues, schools, driveways, and cars. Additionally, discrimination acts occurred such as a gay man being beaten and children telling black classmates to sit in the back of the bus. Although these events are nothing new to America, there are signs showing times to become worse under Trump’s administration. Anti-semitic groups such as the KKK have recently took to the streets to celebrate Trump’s victory. The President-Elect has publicly made speeches containing racist remarks, which his campaign was mainly built upon. This could be the fuel that others needed to be more public about their discrimination of others, especially police since they enforce rules by the government. Even so, junior Adriana Suriel said, “ It will only get worse if we allow it to. Our leader shouldn’t define how civilians are treated by the ones meant to defend and protect us.”

It is shown that Donald Trump has picked top advisers and officials who are known to have racially biased behaviors. From his National Security Adviser, Mike Flynn, to his appointed Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, Trump’s team does not seem like the most honest people to be in office. It is said that Mike Flynn has made Anti-Muslim comments in the past. Flynn says that Islamism is a cancer to the body of people. Seeing a prominent figure such as him making accusations such as this could cause people to act on them. The American population tends to listen to important people and this is what is intimidating for the future.

People of the African American and Hispanic races already do not believe they can trust law enforcement. How could this possibly change for the better when Trump and his advisers publicly announce their aversion of other races such as Mexican and Muslim? The system could be even more corrupt under Trump’s administration, allowing officers to get away with whatever they want. Sophomore Khyre Irons said, “I believe the type of following Donald Trump has will make the battle for equality even harder for the people since I do not think he will take any action against this matter. Police brutality will become harder to fight.” Since the higher power does not seem trustworthy, civilians will have to stay strong together.