Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

E. McDonald

Walking down the streets of Downtown Raleigh, thousands of citizens express their freedom of speech and protest. The Women’s March took place in 616 different countries.

Emma McDonald, Staff Reporter

Georgia. Florida. North Carolina. New York. California. Texas. These are only a few of the areas inside the United States that participated in the Women’s March on Washington on January 21. While you reread that previous sentence and think, inside the United States? The answer is yes; all seven continents held their own march.

Not just coincidentally dated for the day after President Trump’s inauguration, the Women’s March on Washington was a non-violent protest to show the world that women, despite their religion, ethnicity, gender, age, economic status, or race, all deserve the same opportunities and rights.  Known figures from Hollywood such as Miley Cyrus, Emma Watson, and Madonna were also present at the march in DC.

The march that occurred in downtown Raleigh had a turnout of over 17,000 people, including politicians such as Congressman David Price. Citizens in Raleigh began marching around 10:30, though many had arrived at Moore Square at much earlier times to pack the street. To some people’s surprise, there were not only women protesting at the event. Husbands, fathers, children, and grandparents all showed up in support for gun safety, Planned Parenthood, LGBTQ rights, and immigration reform. Signs reading “women’s rights are human rights” and “build bridges not walls” were regularly seen throughout the crowd of thousands. Even children as young as three years old were walking the streets and holding their own signs to show support for the cause.

As millions of people worldwide expressed their first amendment right, so did oppositionists. Pro-choice groups were met with preachers of the Bible quoting verses and chapter through a microphone. However, though many disagree with the opinions of said preacher, it is important to understand that they, too, have the right to protest. Police also monitored and perimetered the area to ensure safety for all parties (and especially the Starbucks). Contrary to media evidence, most of the Women’s Marches throughout the country, including Raleigh, remained 100 percent peaceful.

There is something uplifting about surrounding oneself with thousands of people with the same beliefs, chanting the way through crowded streets. During times when the common man or woman cannot have a direct say in government, people gather in crowds and demand their voices be heard. While some argue that a group of people walking down streets may not seem like an effective way to get a point across, it very much is. Throughout all of history, that was the only way citizens got their way: Women’s Suffrage, French Revolution, Civil Rights Movement, etc. Sophomore Meghan Judge, a participant of the march downtown, commented on the experience she endured: “Being at the march was so amazing. There was so much energy, and it really opened my eyes to the fact that if you want change, you should go out and make it happen. Everybody should be able to have a voice. We will not go unheard.”

The population of the march in DC is estimated to have had three times as many people as the President’s inauguration the day before. The Women’s March and sister marches across the US. ended up with an attendance of 2.9 million people, and is believed to be the biggest protest in US history; the march is also the biggest inaugural protest in history. Ideas for the future are being planned to create another nationwide march later in the year. Those opposed to the march were so because “Trump was voted in by the people.” To anyone who truly thinks that, there is only one thing left to say: the people did not elect Trump, the system did.