Karmanos Jr. wants out

With the Hurricanes future in the balance, key players like Noah Hanifin, above, will look to play strong and make a playoff push. The team is looking to get back on track after the All Star game as they went into the break losing their last  five games in a row.

WikimediaCommons.com

With the Hurricanes future in the balance, key players like Noah Hanifin, above, will look to play strong and make a playoff push. The team is looking to get back on track after the All Star game as they went into the break losing their last five games in a row.

Robbie Cicciari, Staff Reporter

The Carolina Hurricanes have missed the playoffs for seven straight seasons. They are now halfway through a season where they are 7 points out of a playoff spot. So  the  Hurricanes’ majority owner and chief executive officer is looking to sell his portion of the team,  surprising many people.

Karmanos Jr. says that he is entertaining offers at $400 million plus to a local owner, as well as possibly only selling part of the team. Although he is looking to retain control of the team for at least the next couple of years, the owner also was quoted saying that he is 71 years old and that you start planning for stuff like this when you are 71.

On top of all the controversy, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman noted over Allstar weekend that the team will not be relocating. The NHL is committed to keeping the team in Raleigh and that the fans should not  worry about a move. The Commissioner also specifically named Quebec City, saying that the team will not be moving there. Now it is possible that for the time being, Bettman wants the NHL to slow down a little bit with all the change that has been going through league, especially with the expansion team being brought in this summer.

So for now, it looks like the team is staying put. With an extremely bright future ahead of them, with young stars like Jeff Skinner, Sebastian Aho, and Noah Hanifin, you might be able to see the team find its way back into the playoffs in the next five years; though the hope is that it is not too late. Sophomore  Jack Mitchell agreed: “Raleigh is in for a treat with an all around solid team that will soon be among the elite teams in the league, providing crowds with electrifying entertainment night in and night out.” People have been giving up on the team leading to a large decrease in ticket sales and fan support. If the team does not turn around soon, their future might be uncertain no matter what the commissioner says.