Journey to the White House

A Barack Obama biography

Standing in front of a large crowd, Barack Obama was sworn into office on January 20, 2008. This day was very historic and meaningful for our country.

wikimedia.org

Jocelyn Marshall, Staff Reporter

As the 44th and first black president of the United States, Barack Obama’s accomplishments will be remembered and celebrated as a key part of Black History Month in the years to come. How he chose to live his life and overcome his struggles is a great example to leave behind for the youth and people of this country. Our former president was born on August 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii. He was raised by his mother and his grandparents for most of his childhood. Obama lived in many different places as a child such as, Indonesia, Massachusetts, and Hawaii.

Growing up, he went to Punahou Academy, played basketball, and graduated with academic honors. The former president went on to study at Occidental College in Los Angeles and then transferred to Columbia University in NYC. He graduated in 1983 with a political science degree. After moving to Chicago, Obama decided to further his law career by attending Harvard Law School. That same year, he joined the Sidley Austin Law Firm as a summer associate. After Barack finished law school, he returned to Chicago as a civil rights lawyer and a part-time professor at the University of Chicago Law School.

Shortly after getting married and having two daughters, Obama published a highly praised autobiography. This book brought attention to his advocacy work and promoted him to run for the Illinois State Senate. He served as an Illinois senator from 2005 until 2008. He announced his candidacy for president in February 2007. Running against Republican John McCain, Barack Obama won the election as the 44th president of the U.S. He ran again after his first term and won the election to stay in the Oval Office for another four years.

During his scandal-free presidency, Obama passed a health care reform act (a.k.a. Obamacare), cut taxes for working class families, and brought the country out of a recession through the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. A few of his greatest accomplishments were ending the war in Iraq and sending a Special Forces team to eliminate terrorist Osama bin Laden. Junior Austin Ward said, “I liked President Obama because of the great things he did for our country. He got us out of a recession, gave Americans jobs, and strengthened our foreign relations. He also made history by being the first black president.” Barack Obama served as a great role model for young people and set standards for the presidents to come. He will forever be remembered for his steps to have equality for LGBT community and women’s right to choose. His work for this country will always be celebrated and respected.