National Day of Unplugging

Putting the electronics down

Holding a sign to represent the National Day of Unplugging, Aliza Sherman says she unplugs to be with her family and herself. The National Day of Unplugging aims to turn of electronics and relax, reconnect, and go outdoors.

Aliza Sherman

London Gardner, Staff Reporter

Tomorrow is the National Day of Unplugging around the world. This is a day when people turn off all of their electronics and do not use them for twenty-four hours. The National Day of Unplugging begins at sundown on March 3 and ends at sundown on March 4. Although it may seem that the goal is to unplug for the full twenty-four hours, it is actually to unplug for as long as you can. It is better to unplug for a short period of time rather than not at all. Take time to relax by yourself or with family, and get your mind away from what is happening on Twitter. The official website for the National Day of Unplugging allows you to sign up with your community or group of friends and family to say that you will be participating. Upon signing up, you are eligible to receive bags for you and others to put your cellphones in, downloadable “I unplug to__” posters for you to fill in with what you wish to do while unplugging, and a toolkit comprised of time-tested ideas to make an unplugged event of your own.  Many cities such as Atlanta, Los Angeles, and San Francisco have already come up with events where many people can go to unplug and participate in electronic-free activities together. One of our CTE teachers who teaches classes such as Business Law Honors and Multimedia and Webpage Design, Ms. Meecha Jackson, said, “This day gives us the opportunity to look somebody in the eye and talk to them and do things that we have gotten away from like good old-fashion communication. It helps us appreciate and understand how technology has advanced us and without technology it’s almost as if we’re in the dark ages.” Hopefully, in this day and age where technology is prominent in everyday life, the National Day of Unplugging will become more popular so that people will be encouraged to put the phones down and spend time with family.

The National Day of Unplugging was created by Reboot in 2010. Reboot is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving Jewish tradition by engaging new generations in creative projects involving the arts, food, and social justice. The National Day of Unplugging, annually held on the first Friday in March, was created based on the Sabbath Manifesto which involves taking one day per week to unwind, unplug, get outdoors, and connect with loved ones. Ms. Jackson also said, “Since I have removed the use of cellphones in my class, I have seen students engaging with one another on a level that I hadn’t seen. Before it was just them being plugged in and on their own.” Tomorrow, many people will be partaking in the National Day of Unplugging, and you should too!