Conspiracies that turned out to be true

Wikimedia Commons

Signing off on project MK-ULTRA, Dr. Sidney Gottlieb, the chemical division chief, approves the usage of LSD on test subjects. MK-ULTRA is one out of a handful of conspiracies that appeared truthful.

Emma McDonald, Staff Reporter

Out of either boredom or curiosity, everyone has a dirty pleasure of digging into the schemes that surround the world of conspiracies. While most conspiracies are far from the border line of truth, there are a few exceptions. The following three (true) conspiracies were all government-based and initiated as a result of national security.

MK-ULTRA

From 1950 to 1970, the CIA conducted mind control projects aimed at finding a truth serum to use on communist spies. This government-run mission subcontracted hundreds of such projects to over eighty universities, hospitals, prisons, and pharmaceutical companies. It was not until 1977, when a Freedom of Information Act exposed 20,000 previously classified documents, that the public got a hold of this information. However, the most severe documents were destroyed by CIA director Richard Helms in 1973, leaving a void in the project that may never be revealed.

Iran-Contra Affair

The Iran-Contra Affair was a repercussion of two separate military initiatives under the administration of President Ronald Reagan. In the 1980s, the U.S. government secretly arranged to provide funds to US right-wing militant groups, named Nicaraguan Contra Rebels, to aid in their opposition to the socialist government that was being constructed in Nicaragua. These funds were obtained from selling arms to pro-Iranian groups who held American hostages in Lebanon. The U.S. wanted the secure the release of said hostages and steer Iranian foreign policy in a Western direction. The scandal went public in November of 1986 when Lebanese reports forced the Reagan administration to disclose to the deal.

The Manhattan Project

The Manhattan Project was a codename for projects conducted during World War 2 to develop the world’s first atomic bomb. The tests lasted a course of three years between 1942 and 1946, with research and production sites in the US, UK, and Canada. The first atomic bomb was tested on July 16, 1945. It would not be until August 6 that the project was released by President Harry Truman during his announcement of the Hiroshima raid.

Constantly accusing one’s government of deliberately hiding information and moving about secretly can arguably be America’s left-winged citizens favorite pastime. Although the government-supposedly-works in its citizens’ best interest, there are times when it is best to hold back some nationalistic pride. Sophomore Eric Stoker said, “I have no doubt the government tries to do what is best for America, but there are times when I feel a bit uneasy. Certain things are understandable, such as the atomic bomb projects; however, mind control is on a totally different level.”  As proven above, not all those who conspire are crazy, and  many who look into conspiracies do so for the fun of it. As America moves into the deep spaces that lie ahead, it never hurts to keep the mind on edge.