Freshman takes initiative with coat drive

Peyton Lenderman

Advertising the coat drive, posters such as this one can be found in various places around the school. Make sure to bring in any old coats to the senior lounge by April 21!

Peyton Lenderman, Staff Reporter

Many students at Millbrook may have seen the signs for a coat drive around school, but what exactly is it? The drive was started by the Wake Forest Youth Advisory Board and is something they have done for several years. Members of the board nominate different locations in and around Wake Forest where they place signs and boxes where people can donate any old coats that they own. These coats are for a great cause: the underprivileged youth in Wake Forest. All coats that the advisory board receive goes to the Boys and Girls Club in Wake Forest, where they then distribute them to little kids who do not have a coat and will not be able to buy them during the winter season.

This is Millbrook’s first time being a location for the drive, and it is all thanks to a young freshman named Isabella Marin. Isabella, who is originally from Columbia, is an outstanding student who not only maintains near-perfect grades, but also takes the time to help others whenever possible. When she heard from one of her 8th grade teachers about the youth advisory board and the work that they do, she immediately sent in an application. She was chosen to be a member, and when the discussion of the coat drive came up, she nominated Millbrook High School as a location. “Most of us are very lucky with what we have and do not have to worry about being cold next winter,” Isabella said, “These kids do not have this assurance.” The only thing anyone has to do to help is find old coats that may be stashed away in a closet somewhere, and bring them into the school. An old coat that you do not even wear anymore could help a child in need and bring a smile to their face. The drop-off location here at Millbrook is a box located in the senior lounge, where anyone can drop off a coat up until April 21.

If this sounds like an interesting opportunity to you, and you do not just want to stop here, Wake Forest residents can apply to the advisory board to start serving next school year. The link to the application can be found by clicking here, but students need to hurry because they start choosing new members very soon.