Defending Stunt champions

Pictured+left+to+right%2C+Front+Row%3A+Addie+Ultis%2C+Jessie+Crossland%2C+Kamari+Hudson%2C+Kaylee+Snead%2C+and+Sarah+Tate+Durling.+Row+2%3A%3A+Katie+Day%2C+Zaria+Hudson%2C+Gianna+Alicea-Rochelle%2C+Ella+Schaffner%2C+Andrea+Shealey%2C+Margaux+Smith%2C+Bria+Bryant%2C+and+Maddie+Barone.+Row+3%3A+Julia+Brunetz%2C+Aliya+Ward%2C+Kaylee+Perry%2C+Coach+Ally+Leaptrott%2C+Camryn+Thomas%2C+Samara+Demary%2C+and+Ryen+Boleware.+Row+4%3A%3A+Jasmine+Marshall%2C+Grayson+McClendon%2C+Peyton+Spainhour%2C+Kemani+Mullins%2C+Natalie+Green%2C+Carlie+Wilson%2C+and+Maya+Lee.+

Lifetouch

Pictured left to right, Front Row: Addie Ultis, Jessie Crossland, Kamari Hudson, Kaylee Snead, and Sarah Tate Durling. Row 2:: Katie Day, Zaria Hudson, Gianna Alicea-Rochelle, Ella Schaffner, Andrea Shealey, Margaux Smith, Bria Bryant, and Maddie Barone. Row 3: Julia Brunetz, Aliya Ward, Kaylee Perry, Coach Ally Leaptrott, Camryn Thomas, Samara Demary, and Ryen Boleware. Row 4:: Jasmine Marshall, Grayson McClendon, Peyton Spainhour, Kemani Mullins, Natalie Green, Carlie Wilson, and Maya Lee.

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter

The Millbrook Stunt team won the first round of the conference playoffs on May 3 against Holly Springs 16-9. They will be progressing to round two against Green Hope this week. If they win, they will advance to championship competition to defend their title. Both round two and the championships will be at Broughton High School on Wednesday, May 10.

Stunt is a new, fast growing sport that first came to Millbrook in the spring of 2015. Senior Jasmine Marshall has been on the team for all three years. Jasmine said, “Winning championships was a great feeling because my first year we were really close to winning. We made it to the finals and got second place, so it [last year] was a come back or redemption.”

In stunt, the two teams compete side by side on the mat. For each quarter, the judges award points to one or both teams for execution of the routines. Each quarter has specific skill sections: first quarter- Partner Stunts, second quarter- Pyramids and basket tosses, third quarter- Team Tumbling/Jumps, and fourth quarter- Team Performance.

Skill Sequences are predetermined routines given to the teams by the USA Cheer Stunt Competition Committee prior to the season. The routines in the first three quarters are based on Skill Levels 1-4/5. The fourth quarter is a Team Performance. The winner is the team with the highest total points at the end of the fourth quarter.

The stunt team has been coached by Varsity Cheer head coach Ally Leaptrott since it first came to Millbrook. She has led both teams to numerous trophies over the years. Junior Ryen Boleware said, “Coach Leaptrott has absolutely spoiled the girls and me with her presence. She is just a genuinely great person, and you just wanna make her proud. To see her jumping up and down out of excitement is such an amazing feeling because we know she is so proud of us. If we ever have a bad day, she really gets us to believe in ourselves and lifts our spirits. She adds such an amazing aura to the team. Even when she is having an off day, she comes to stunt with her best foot forward and a game face on. We can tell that she loves us just as much as we love her. She makes stunt season just that special to me because of how special of a person she is. I absolutely love being coached by her.”

Jasmine Marshall said, “I’m hopeful that we will win. I think we have a good chance based on how we’ve completed so far.” The Stunt Team would greatly appreciate your support Wednesday, May 10. Round two is at 5pm, and championships will be directly after that, so come cheer on your Lady Wildcats!