IB Stressing

The light at the end of the tunnel

Acting+out+a+scene+of+a+movie%2C+these+student-actors+are+finishing+up+an+IB+Film+project.+These+IB+students+are+working+hard+now+to+ensure+them+a+future+full+of+success.+
Acting out a scene of a movie, these student-actors are finishing up an IB Film project. These IB students are working hard now to ensure them a future full of success.

Seraphin Kibonge

Seraphin Kibonge

Seraphin Kibonge, Staff Reporter

Everyone has an opinion on the International Baccalaureate Programme, or IB, here at Millbrook High School. Some students believe completing the program will set them up well for future colleges, while some other students believe it makes no difference compared to AP. Regardless of what side of the fence you are on, one thing is for sure: IB is one of the most rigorous course plans at Millbrook. Seniors on the verge of completing the program are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and are looking forward to a bright future.

Over the course of the past two years, seniors in the IB Programme have been tried in every possible way. With exams over with, the only thing standing between these seniors and college is their graduation date. While some students are excited to finally leave high school, others are more reflective on their IB career. When asked to look back on his IB experience, senior Dom Rodts said, “I’m going to miss the community and family feel we had around here, but I’m proud of all the work I’ve accomplished over the last 2 years.” Many of his peers feel the same way, as senior Spencer Maingi said, “I’ll miss IB mostly because of the relationships I’ve made with people over the course of two years. It’s gonna be hard to leave them behind, but I know that all the seniors, both IB and not, are more than ready to graduate and move on to the next portion of our lives.” This was a popular theme throughout the seniors, most of them saddened by the end of the school year but also excited for what their future hold. Also, senior Amy Grace Williams emphasized, “The friends that I made during my years in IB and the community are what I will miss the most.”

Working through struggles with the same group of people creates a sense of community and family, something that is prevalent throughout the IB community. The darkness of the IB tunnel is fading, and the light of the IB Diploma and college is getting brighter by the day.